1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating acceleration on an inclined plane (with friction)

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 38kg block is on a slope that is 50 degrees above the horizon. The box is attached to a 9kg weight that rests on a flat surface (connected to the top of the slope). The coefficient of friction for both surfaces is 0.12. Calculate the acceleration of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = Fapp - Ff
    Fgx = (sin[angle])(gravity)(mass)
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Fnet = Fapp - Ff
    Fnet = (38 * 9.81 * (sin50)) - (9*9.81*.12) - ((Cos50)*9.81*38*0.12)
    Fnet = 246.1

F = ma

a = f/m
    a = 246.21/(38+9)
    a = 5.24m/s^2

My professor got 2.9m/s^2 and I can't see where (if) I'm going wrong. Help would be absolutely fantastic. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't find a fault in your reasoning or calculation either.

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3
    He was using the formula "Fnet = Fapp - Ff (of the 38kg object) - T2" where T2 is tension in the rope that is connecting the two weights, if that helps. I can't really explain much about about it though, since it was the first time I had ever seen it used in my life and he didn't really explain it either.

I have a test about this kind of thing tomorrow and it's freaking me out right now. >_> Thanks so much!

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's a perfectly reasonable approach, but it should produce the same answer:
    M = 38, m = 9, kinetic friction coefficient = μ, slope = α, accn = a.
    Ma = Mg sin(α) - T - Mgμ cos(α)
    ma = T - mgμ
    Summing:
    Ma + ma = Mg sin(α) - mgμ - Mgμ cos(α)
    a = g(M sin(α) - mμ - Mμ cos(α))/(M+m)
    = 9.81*(38*sin(50*pi()/180) - 9*.12 - 38*.12*cos(50*pi()/180))/(38+9) = 5.24

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5
    Well I'll show that to him before the test, then. Thank you so much; I really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook