Calculating acceleration on an inclined plane (with friction)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a system involving a 38kg block on a slope of 50 degrees and a 9kg weight attached to a flat surface. The coefficient of friction for both surfaces is 0.12. Different approaches are used to calculate the acceleration, with the final answer being 5.24m/s^2.
Bobazoide

Homework Statement

A 38kg block is on a slope that is 50 degrees above the horizon. The box is attached to a 9kg weight that rests on a flat surface (connected to the top of the slope). The coefficient of friction for both surfaces is 0.12. Calculate the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

Fnet = Fapp - Ff
Fgx = (sin[angle])(gravity)(mass)
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = Fapp - Ff
Fnet = (38 * 9.81 * (sin50)) - (9*9.81*.12) - ((Cos50)*9.81*38*0.12)
Fnet = 246.1

F = ma

a = f/m
a = 246.21/(38+9)
a = 5.24m/s^2

My professor got 2.9m/s^2 and I can't see where (if) I'm going wrong. Help would be absolutely fantastic. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find a fault in your reasoning or calculation either.

He was using the formula "Fnet = Fapp - Ff (of the 38kg object) - T2" where T2 is tension in the rope that is connecting the two weights, if that helps. I can't really explain much about about it though, since it was the first time I had ever seen it used in my life and he didn't really explain it either.

I have a test about this kind of thing tomorrow and it's freaking me out right now. >_> Thanks so much!

Bobazoide said:
He was using the formula "Fnet = Fapp - Ff (of the 38kg object) - T2" where T2 is tension in the rope that is connecting the two weights,
That's a perfectly reasonable approach, but it should produce the same answer:
M = 38, m = 9, kinetic friction coefficient = μ, slope = α, accn = a.
Ma = Mg sin(α) - T - Mgμ cos(α)
ma = T - mgμ
Summing:
Ma + ma = Mg sin(α) - mgμ - Mgμ cos(α)
a = g(M sin(α) - mμ - Mμ cos(α))/(M+m)
= 9.81*(38*sin(50*pi()/180) - 9*.12 - 38*.12*cos(50*pi()/180))/(38+9) = 5.24

Well I'll show that to him before the test, then. Thank you so much; I really appreciate it!

What is acceleration on an inclined plane?

Acceleration on an inclined plane refers to the rate of change of velocity of an object as it moves along an inclined surface, taking into account the effects of gravity and friction.

How do you calculate acceleration on an inclined plane?

To calculate acceleration on an inclined plane, you would need to know the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction. Using these values, you can use the formula a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

What is the difference between acceleration on an inclined plane with and without friction?

The main difference between acceleration on an inclined plane with and without friction is the presence of an opposing force. Without friction, the object would accelerate down the incline with a constant acceleration of gsinθ. However, with friction, the object experiences a resisting force that affects its acceleration.

How does the angle of the incline affect acceleration on an inclined plane?

The angle of the incline directly affects the acceleration on an inclined plane. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases, and at a certain angle (called the critical angle), the object will no longer accelerate and will instead remain at a constant speed. This is because at this angle, the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline is equal to the force of friction pushing against it.

What are some real-life examples of calculating acceleration on an inclined plane?

Calculating acceleration on an inclined plane can be seen in many real-life scenarios, such as a car driving up or down a hill, a rollercoaster on a steep drop, or a person skiing down a slope. It is also relevant in industries such as construction, where ramps and inclined planes are used to move heavy objects.