Calculating acceleration of plane when given mass, friction force and Vi

In summary, we are trying to find the acceleration of a 2000 kg plane as it lands with an initial speed of 50 m/s and a friction force that is 1/4 of its weight. Using the equation Fnet = ma, we can set up an equation of 2000a = ? - 500N, where a is the unknown acceleration and 500 N represents the friction force. However, we must remember that 500 N is not equal to 1/4 of the weight of the plane, as 2000 kg is the mass of the plane, not its weight.
Blobikins

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg plane is landing at an airfield with an initial speed of 50 m/s. The force of friction is 1/4 the weight of the plane. What is the acceleration of the plane?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

Fnet = something - ff

The Attempt at a Solution

2000a = thing I don't know - ff, which is 500 n

So

2000a = ? - 500N

What force am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blobikins said:
What force am I missing?
Why are you convinced you are missing a force?

Blobikins said:

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg plane is landing at an airfield with an initial speed of 50 m/s. The force of friction is 1/4 the weight of the plane. What is the acceleration of the plane?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

Fnet = something - ff

The Attempt at a Solution

2000a = thing I don't know - ff, which is 500 n

So

2000a = ? - 500N

What force am I missing?
You're missing the fact that 500 N is ≠ 1/4 of the weight of the plane. Remember, 2000 kg is the mass of the plane, not its weight.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a plane when given the mass, friction force, and initial velocity?

The acceleration of a plane can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the plane by its mass. The net force is equal to the difference between the thrust force and the friction force. So, the formula for calculating acceleration is: a = (Thrust Force - Friction Force) / Mass. The initial velocity does not play a role in this calculation.

2. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. Can the acceleration of a plane be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a plane can be negative if the net force acting on the plane is in the opposite direction of its motion. This could happen if the friction force is greater than the thrust force.

4. How does the mass of the plane affect its acceleration?

The mass of the plane directly affects its acceleration. The greater the mass, the more force is required to accelerate the plane. This means that a heavier plane will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter plane with the same amount of force acting on it.

5. Can the acceleration of a plane change during its flight?

Yes, the acceleration of a plane can change during its flight. This can happen if the thrust force or friction force changes, or if the mass of the plane changes (e.g. if fuel is consumed during flight). The acceleration can also change due to external factors such as air resistance and wind speed.