Calculating acceleration of plane when given mass, friction force and Vi

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Blobikins
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2000 kg plane is landing at an airfield with an initial speed of 50 m/s. The force of friction is 1/4 the weight of the plane. What is the acceleration of the plane?

Homework Equations



Fnet = ma

Fnet = something - ff

The Attempt at a Solution



2000a = thing I don't know - ff, which is 500 n

So

2000a = ? - 500N

What force am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Blobikins said:

Homework Statement


A 2000 kg plane is landing at an airfield with an initial speed of 50 m/s. The force of friction is 1/4 the weight of the plane. What is the acceleration of the plane?

Homework Equations



Fnet = ma

Fnet = something - ff

The Attempt at a Solution



2000a = thing I don't know - ff, which is 500 n

So

2000a = ? - 500N

What force am I missing?
You're missing the fact that 500 N is ≠ 1/4 of the weight of the plane. Remember, 2000 kg is the mass of the plane, not its weight.