Calculating Air Volume and Composition with Physical Chemistry Principles

In summary, the volume of dry air at 1 bar pressure is determined by using the ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, where n is the number of moles of dry air and P, V, and T are pressure, volume, and temperature respectively. The final volume of air saturated with water vapor can be calculated by adding the volume of water vapor to the volume of dry air. The mole fractions of N2, O2, and H20 in the moist air can be determined by using the ideal gas equation and knowing the total pressure, temperature, and volume of the system.
Alex66
A mole of air (80% Nitrogen, and 20% Oxygen by volume) at 298.15K is brought into contact with liquid water which has a vapor pressure of 3168 Pa at this temperature.

a) what is the volume of the dry air if the pressure is 1 bar?

b) what is the final volume of the air saturated with water vapor if the total pressure is maintained at 1 bar?

c) what are the mole fractions of N2, O2, and H20 in the moist air? Assume all gases are ideal

I need help setting up the problem, I have no clue on where to start. I started with PV=nRT but I don't know if that's right. At my school we do not have a tutor for this class so any help is greatful. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Vtot = ntot RT/Ptot

The number of moles of the system is the sum of the number of moles of each component. This can be determined if you know the pressure, temperature and volume of the system.

The sum of the partial pressures of all of the components equals the total pressure of the system. It can be determined from the ideal gas equation if you know moles, temperature and volume.

Final volume of the system is the sum of the volumes of each component. Volume can be determined from the ideal gas equation if you know moles, temperature and pressure.

Related to Calculating Air Volume and Composition with Physical Chemistry Principles

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level. It combines the principles of physics and chemistry to understand the fundamental nature of chemical systems.

2. What are some common topics in physical chemistry?

Some common topics in physical chemistry include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and electrochemistry. These topics help us understand the energy changes, rates of reactions, molecular structure, and chemical reactions at the atomic and molecular level.

3. How can physical chemistry help in understanding real-world problems?

Physical chemistry provides a theoretical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical systems. It can help in designing new materials, understanding reaction mechanisms, and developing more efficient and sustainable processes in fields such as medicine, energy, and materials science.

4. Is physical chemistry difficult to understand?

Physical chemistry can be challenging for some students as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. However, with proper study and practice, anyone can understand and appreciate the fundamental concepts and applications of physical chemistry.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physical chemistry?

To improve your understanding of physical chemistry, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic chemistry and mathematics. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek help from your teacher or classmates if you have any difficulties. Additionally, reading textbooks, attending lectures and participating in lab experiments can also aid in better understanding physical chemistry concepts.