Calculating An Acceleration To Arrive With Zero Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with an application they are writing that involves finding the appropriate deceleration for an object moving in a frictionless world. They are looking for pointers, formulas, and discussions on possible solutions. The recommended approach is to use the kinematic equations of motion for a constant acceleration.
eddieparker
Hello!

I'm new to the forums, so apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum. I was debating on placing this in the 'Homework' section, but this is really just a problem I'm having with an application I'm writing, so I wasn't sure if it applied. Anyhow, please file accordingly, and I'll know better for next time.

Anyhow, it's been years since I've used my physics, and I'm quite rusty. I'm working on an application which is trying to return an acceleration for an object that is moving in a frictionless world. At any point in time, I have access to its:

- Velocity
- Position
- Goal

What I'd like to do is have the function return the appropriate deceleration such that it arrives at it's goal with zero velocity.

I'd appreciate anything from pointers to formula's, to discussions regarding possible solutions, etc.

The key thing is that I don't have access to anything save the time since the last calculation, and I'd prefer not to specify the amount of time for the deceleration to occur (that is, I'd prefer the deceleration to scale depending on the velocity).

Your help, advice, and pointers are appreciated.

Cheers!

-e-

Physics news on Phys.org
eddieparker said:
Hello!

I'm new to the forums, so apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum. I was debating on placing this in the 'Homework' section, but this is really just a problem I'm having with an application I'm writing, so I wasn't sure if it applied. Anyhow, please file accordingly, and I'll know better for next time.

Anyhow, it's been years since I've used my physics, and I'm quite rusty. I'm working on an application which is trying to return an acceleration for an object that is moving in a frictionless world. At any point in time, I have access to its:

- Velocity
- Position
- Goal

What I'd like to do is have the function return the appropriate deceleration such that it arrives at it's goal with zero velocity.

I'd appreciate anything from pointers to formula's, to discussions regarding possible solutions, etc.

The key thing is that I don't have access to anything save the time since the last calculation, and I'd prefer not to specify the amount of time for the deceleration to occur (that is, I'd prefer the deceleration to scale depending on the velocity).

Your help, advice, and pointers are appreciated.

Cheers!

-e-

Welcome to the PF. I went ahead and moved the thread -- this is the best place for it.

You will use the kinematic equations of motion, for a constant acceleration (that is the simplest form, and should work for what you want to do).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematics (scroll down to the Kinematics of Constant Acceleration)

They are equations that relate position, velocity and acceleration. See if that helps, and ask specific questions if you are confused about something. Have fun on the project!

Hello!

Calculating the appropriate acceleration for an object to arrive at a specific position with zero velocity can be achieved using the following formula:

a = -v^2 / (2 * (x - x0))

Where:
a = acceleration
v = initial velocity
x = goal position
x0 = initial position

This formula is derived from the equation of motion for constant acceleration, d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

In this case, we can rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration, given that the final displacement (x) is equal to the initial displacement (x0) and the final velocity is zero.

I hope this helps with your application. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration related to velocity and time?

Acceleration is directly proportional to time, meaning if time increases, acceleration also increases. It is also indirectly proportional to velocity, meaning if velocity increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the velocity of an object is decreasing over time, often referred to as deceleration or negative acceleration. This can occur if an object is slowing down or changing direction.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and distance?

The relationship between acceleration and distance is not direct. However, the distance an object travels is influenced by its acceleration, as well as its initial velocity and time. The formula for calculating distance is: d = vi * t + (1/2) * a * t^2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.