Calculating angle between velocity and position vector

In summary, the conversation discusses two different approaches to solving for the angle alpha and the particle's maximum distance from the origin. The first approach involves using the equation ## \cos{\alpha} = \frac{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{r}}{|\vec{v}||\vec{r}|} ## and setting the magnitude of velocity to 0 at t = t_m. The second approach involves using the equation ## \frac{ds}{dt} = 0 ## to calculate the maximum distance and realizing that the equation ## \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} = 0 ## does not necessarily correspond to the particle being at its maximum distance. The correct answer is determined to be option (
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-22_23-17-11.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took ## \frac { d\vec r}{dt} = 0 ## . This gives ##t_m = \frac { 1} {\sqrt{ 2}} ## ...(1)

To calculate ## \alpha ## ,

## \cos{ \alpha } = \frac { \vec v \cdot \vec r}{|\vec v||\vec r|} ## ...(2)

Then, magnitude of ##\vec v ## is 0 at t = ## t_m##.

So, R.H.S. of (2) becomes ## \frac { 0}0 ## . So, ##\alpha## could be anything between ## - \pi ## to ## \pi ## .Another approach was to put ## \cos{ \alpha } = \frac { \vec v \cdot \vec r}{|\vec v||\vec r|} ## as a function of t and then to reduce it and then solve it at ## t= t_m##. But, this led me into difficult calculation yielding again ## \frac { 0}0 ##. I don’t know why this approach should give a different answer, I just thought of it as some times, while solving for limit ,some factor gets canceled leading answer to non ## \frac { 0}0 ## form.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_23-17-11.png
    upload_2017-12-22_23-17-11.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 4,239
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
I took ## \frac { d\vec r}{dt} = 0 ## .
Does this condition correspond to the particle being at its maximum distance from the origin?

TSny said:
Does this condition correspond to the particle being at its maximum distance from the origin?
Sorry, What I did was: ##\frac{ds}{dt} = 0## where s is the magnitude of displacement.

Pushoam said:
Sorry, What I did was: ##\frac{ds}{dt} = 0## where s is the magnitude of displacement.
OK
Pushoam said:
Then, magnitude of ##\vec v ## is 0 at t = ## t_m##.
How did you arrive at this statement?

TSny said:
OK
How did you arrive at this statement?
Sorry,
I calculated ## \frac { ds} {dt} = 0 ## .

Then, I got the thought that, for the distance between the origin and the system should be 0, ## \frac { d\vec r}{dt} = 0 ##, which is wrong.

I did not remain careful about the fact that ## \frac { ds} {dt} ## and ## \frac { d\vec r}{dt} ## represent two different physical quantities, that they mean different. This carelessness was the mistake.

Identified with the above thought, I took it for granted that ## |\vec v|= 0 ## at t = ## t_m ## .

## |\vec v| = \sqrt{ t^2 – t + \frac 1 {4 t}} e^{-t} ##

So, at t = ## t_m ## , ## \vec v \neq \vec 0, |\vec v|\neq 0 ##

## \vec v \cdot \vec r = 0 ##

So, at ## t = t_m , \alpha = \frac { \pi}2 ##

So, the answer is option (d).

Is this correct?So, at t = ## t_m ## , ## \vec v \neq \vec 0, |\vec v|\neq 0 ##

## \vec v \cdot \vec r = 0 ##

So, at ## t = t_m , \alpha = \frac { \pi}2 ##

So, the answer is option (d).

Is this correct?

Looks good.

Likes Pushoam
Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector?

To calculate the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1((v * p) / (|v| * |p|)), where v is the velocity vector, p is the position vector, and |v| and |p| are the magnitudes of the vectors.

2. Can the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector be negative?

No, the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector is always positive. In the dot product formula, the result is squared, so even if the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, the squared value will always be positive. The inverse cosine function will then always return a positive angle.

3. What is the range of values for the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector?

The range of values for the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector is 0 to 180 degrees. This is because both vectors can point in any direction, and the angle between them can vary from 0 degrees (when the vectors are parallel) to 180 degrees (when the vectors are pointing in opposite directions).

4. Can the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the inverse cosine function only returns values between 0 and 180 degrees. If the angle between the vectors is greater than 180 degrees, it means that the vectors are pointing in the same direction, and the angle between them should be 0 degrees.

5. How is the angle between a velocity vector and a position vector used in physics?

The angle between a velocity vector and a position vector is used in physics to calculate the direction of motion of an object. It can also be used to determine the force acting on an object, as well as the work done on an object. In addition, it is used in the study of projectile motion and circular motion.