Calculating Average Energy of a quantum state

In summary, the problem requires finding the average energy of a particle in an infinite square well with a wave function that is a superposition of the two lowest energy states. This can be done by finding the coefficients of the wave function and using the equation for the average energy, which includes the energy of each state. However, since the length of the box is not given, the problem can be approached by either treating it as a parameter or dividing it out in the calculation.
Z90E532

Homework Statement

Given a wave function that is the super position of the two lowest energies of a particle in an infinite square well ##\Psi = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}}\psi _1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\psi _2##, find ##\langle E \rangle##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to proceed with this problem. I understand that we basically need to find the coefficients ##c_n## from ##\langle H \rangle = \sum |c_n|^2 E_n##, but I'm not sure how to find ##E_n##. The energy of each state is known to be ##E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi ^2 \hbar ^2}{2mL^2}##, but without the problem giving the length of the box, I can't see how we can use this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two possibilities:
  1. Continue with ##L## as a parameter that stays in the answer. Same for ##m, \hbar, \pi##, (There is no need for a numerical value in this exercise).
  2. Continue and perhaps some of these divide out (for example because of normalization constants)
In both cases: continue :smile:

PS my money definitely isn't on case 2 :biggrin:

1. What is the formula for calculating the average energy of a quantum state?

The formula for calculating the average energy of a quantum state is:

⟨E⟩ = ∑n En |Cn|2

where En is the energy of the nth state, and Cn is the coefficient of the nth state in the superposition.

2. How do you find the energy of a specific quantum state?

To find the energy of a specific quantum state, you would use the energy eigenvalue equation:

EnΨn = ĤΨn

where En is the energy of the state, Ψn is the wavefunction of the state, and Ĥ is the Hamiltonian operator.

3. What is the significance of calculating the average energy of a quantum state?

Calculating the average energy of a quantum state allows us to determine the expected energy of the system. This can help us understand the behavior and properties of the system, and make predictions about its future states.

4. Can the average energy of a quantum state be negative?

Yes, the average energy of a quantum state can be negative. This may occur if there are states with negative energies present in the system. However, the total energy of the system must always be positive, as energy is a conserved quantity.

5. How is the average energy of a quantum state related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the energy of a system, the less precisely we can know the time at which that energy is measured. Therefore, the average energy of a quantum state can be seen as a measure of the uncertainty in the energy of the system.