Electron in a Quantum State: Finding Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in quantum physics that involves finding the eigenvalue and eigenvector of a Hamiltonian. The person asking for help has solved part a) but is unsure about their solution for part b). They have shared their working and expressed their doubts. Another person responds, pointing out a mistake in the solution for part b) and explaining why the parameter b should not depend on μ. The original person thanks them and acknowledges their mistake.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

If possible could someone have a look at my working for this problem, I am not sure if I have carried out part b) correctly. I have done all three problem and carried through my solution to b) just to see if it did simplify out, which it didn’t which make me think I may have carried b) out incorrect. I have attached the question as a picture due to the amount of content.

QM1.png

Homework Equations

$$\hat{H}|n\rangle-IE_{n}|n\rangle \:[1]$$
$$P(R)=|\left\langle R|n \right\rangle|^2 \: [2]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My working for a)
$$|n\rangle=A|n\rangle+B|n\rangle$$
$$|n\rangle=A\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0\end{pmatrix}+B\begin{pmatrix}0\\ 1\end{pmatrix}$$
$$|n\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}A\\ 0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix}0\\ B\end{pmatrix}$$
$$|n\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}A\\ B\end{pmatrix}$$
Finding the eingevalue
$$\hat{H}|n\rangle-IE_{n}|n\rangle=0$$
$$\hat{H}-IE_{n}=0$$
$$\begin{pmatrix}\mu &-\mu \\ -\mu &2\mu \end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix}E_n&0\\ 0&E_n\end{pmatrix}=0$$
Find the Characteristic equation, using the determinate of the matrix below,
$$\begin{pmatrix}\mu -E_n&-\mu \\ -\mu &2\mu -E_n\end{pmatrix}=0$$
$$\left(\mu -E_n\right)\left(2\mu -E_n\right)-\mu ^2=0$$
Solving the quartic I get the following roots
$$E_0=\frac{3\mu -\sqrt{5}\mu }{2}\:,\:E_1=\frac{3\mu \:+\sqrt{5}\mu \:}{2}$$

b) finding the eigenvector
$$\begin{pmatrix}\mu &-\mu \\ -\mu &2\mu \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}A\\ B\end{pmatrix}-\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\begin{pmatrix}\mu A\\ \mu B\end{pmatrix}=0$$
Solving the top line
$$\mu A-\mu B-\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\mu A=0$$
I have kept ##\mu## in as it want ##b(\mu)##
if ##A=1## the I get the following
$$|0\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}\mu \\ \left(\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\mu \end{pmatrix}$$
I am going to ommit the normalising constants as they will cancel through, as they are the same, and as stated not need for this part of the problem.
$$\begin{pmatrix}\mu \\ \left(\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\mu \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1\\ \frac{1}{2}-b\end{pmatrix}$$
I do think this is wrong because I really can't understand why the above works, I understanding the if you scale and eignevector not matter what, the eigenvalue will still be the same, but, I can't see how the above is correct as in this case ##\mu=1## anyway carring on solving through I get the following for b.
$$b(\mu)=\frac{1}{2}+\left(\frac{\left(1-\sqrt{5}\right)\mu }{2}\right)$$

this gave me the new ground state vector
$$|0\rangle = N_0\begin{pmatrix}1\\ \frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\left(1-\sqrt{5}\right)}{2}\end{pmatrix}=N_0\begin{pmatrix}1\\ \left(\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}\mu \right)\end{pmatrix}$$

c) assuming that ##b(\mu)## is correct I then did the following
$$\langle 0|0 \rangle=N_{0}^2(|L\rangle + \frac{\left(\sqrt{5}-1\right)}{2}\mu|R\rangle)(\langle L| + \frac{\left(\sqrt{5}-1\right)}{2}\mu\langle R|)$$
So multiplying out a ##\langle 0|0 \rangle=1## I make ##N_0=\sqrt{\frac{2}{2+\left(3-\sqrt{5}\right)\mu ^2}}##

So now find find the probability I did the following first I found
$$\langle R|0\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{2}{2+\left(3-\sqrt{5}\right)\mu ^2}}\left(\frac{\left(3-\sqrt{5}\right)\mu ^2}{2}\right)$$

Using equation [2] I found the probability for the electron to be in the right to be
$$P(R)=\frac{\left(14-6\sqrt{5}\right)\mu ^{4\:}}{4+2\left(3-\sqrt{5}\right)\mu ^2}$$

As I have stated I am not really sure if my b is correct, but can't really see any other way of making it a constant function

Attachments

• QM1.png
    QM1.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
OK for part (a). For part (b), I think you've been thrown off course by the statement of the problem which implies that the parameter b will be a function of μ. Note the form of the Hamiltonian. μ is just an overall multiplicative constant. So, should the eigenvectors of H depend on μ?

No, I don’t think so because the of the fact alls you effectively is extending the vector in the direction it already going in. I originally thought this but then beacuse the question stated it as a function I was not sure.

Taylor_1989 said:
b) finding the eigenvector
$$\begin{pmatrix}\mu &-\mu \\ -\mu &2\mu \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}A\\ B\end{pmatrix}-\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\begin{pmatrix}\mu A\\ \mu B\end{pmatrix}=0$$
Solving the top line
$$\mu A-\mu B-\left(\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)\mu A=0$$
Since ##\mu## cancels out in this equation, ##A## and ##B## do not depend on ##\mu##. So, ##b## will not depend on ##\mu##.

Thank for the response, I have realized what going on, I did cancel through originally and just had the value. But for some reason I seem to think when it comes to quantum physics "maybe this could be true" and forget the basics of maths, in part iv only just been introduced this year so I am still trying to wrap my head around more the concepts that anything, I have started going through Griffith which seem to be a very good book for the concepts, so hopefully I won't make silly mistakes like this again. Once again much appreciated.

1. What is an electron in a quantum state?

An electron in a quantum state is a description of the location and behavior of an electron in an atom, based on the principles of quantum mechanics. It takes into account the particle-wave duality of electrons and their uncertain position and momentum.

2. How is the quantum state of an electron described?

The quantum state of an electron is described using mathematical equations called wave functions, which represent the probability amplitude of finding the electron at a particular location.

3. What is the significance of the quantum state of an electron?

The quantum state of an electron plays a crucial role in determining the chemical and physical properties of atoms and molecules. It also allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in various environments.

4. Can the quantum state of an electron be observed?

No, the quantum state of an electron cannot be directly observed. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the act of observation can alter the state of the electron. However, scientists can indirectly infer the quantum state through experiments and mathematical calculations.

5. How does the quantum state of an electron affect its energy level?

The energy level of an electron is determined by its quantum state. The higher the energy level, the more spread out the electron's wave function is, and the less certain we are of its position. This relationship is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.