Calculating Cn for general wave solutionbasic Quantum physics

In summary, the problem is that the wave function for the square well as Capital Si (x,0) = A (si1(x) + si2(x), where si1 and si2 are equal to the first two stationary states of an infinite square well. However, when trying to solve for Cn, the problem is that sin n*pi is always equal to zero for any integer n, which means that the equation does not yield a result.
knightpraetor
This is for problem 2.5 in griffiths text

basically they say that the wave function as Capital Si (x,0) = A (si1(x) + si2(x), where si1 and si2 are equal to the first two stationary states of an infinite square well.

i need to get Cn..my normalization constant is sqrt(2)/2..and I'm using the same formula that they use to get it in example 2.2

so I use equation 2.37

Cn = sqrt (2/a) * int (sin (n*pi*x/a) * Si (x,0) dx, 0, a)

into this equation i insert (Sqrt(2)/2) * si (x,0) which was given in the initial question as

si (x,0) = A(si1(x) + si2(x)) where si1 and si2 are the solutions to the first two stationary states of the infinite square well

these should be si1 = sqrt (2/a) * sin (pi*x/a) and
si2 = sqrt (2/a) * sin (2*pi*x/a)

anyways, I'm wondering if I"m doing it write up to here..because in the next step I'm not sure how to simplify the equation to integrate easily so i just plug it into the calculator.

this gives me a function of n as is used in example 2.2 to get Cn...however, my equation has sin n*pi multiplied by the rest of the equation..the problem is that sin n*pi is always equal to zero for any integer n. Therefore i have no Cn.

Obviously I'm doing something major wrong. So i was hoping to get some help on this. I've solved problem 36 ok since it doesn't require much.

2.6 i haven't really tried yet since squaring the initial wave function looks like a beast since it looks like a pain to square (assuming you turn e^itheta into cos theta + isin theta), though i will get to it soon hoepfully..

2.37 i also tried though..and normalizing it was ok (sqrt(16/5)), but i again was unable to get Cn..my calculator when giving the integral solution again leaves me with sin npi as a major factor..so i wonder if I'm plugging things in wrong.

Anyways, getting Cn is a major factor in these problems so i could really use some help:\

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about eigenstates of the infinite square well? In particular, there is a nice property that makes this problem trivial. Try writing the product of wave function out, as
[tex] \Psi^{\ast}\Psi = (\psi_1 +\psi_2)^{\ast}(\psi_1+\psi_2) [/tex]
You should find this simplifies the calculation since the wave functions are orthogonal, which is what I'm referring to above. Another way to write this (though you probably haven't seen this yet) is in Dirac notation.
[tex] \langle \Psi \mid \Psi \rangle = ( \langle 1 \mid + \langle 2 \mid)( \mid 1 \rangle + \mid 2 \rangle ) [/tex]
where the bra's and ket's denoted with 1 and 2 are the corresponding stationary states of the infinite square well. Using this notation the problem is very easy to solve.

Last edited:
my teacher told me that psi(x, 0) is fine with A = 1/sqrt(2)

what is then needed is to write the time-dependent solution
Psi(x, t) as A ( psi1(x) exp(-iE1 t/ hbar) + psi2(x) exp(-i E2 t /hbar) )

using trigonometric identities you can then work out the
probability density from the |Psi(x,t)|^2 and see how it oscillates with
time.
the integrals involved in c then only require trigonometric identities.

however, this still doesn't tell me why i couldn't derive psi (x, t) from using the formula to get Cn.

anyways, between your hint and the teachers i don't think doing the problem will be difficult now, though I'm still confused why what i was trying didn't work

1. What is Cn in quantum physics?

Cn, also known as the coefficient of the nth energy level, is a complex number that represents the amplitude of a particular energy state in a quantum system.

2. How is Cn calculated in general wave solutions?

Cn is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. This equation involves solving for the wave function, and Cn is obtained by finding the coefficients of the different terms in the wave function.

3. What is the significance of Cn in quantum mechanics?

Cn is significant because it allows us to predict the probability of a quantum particle occupying a particular energy state. The square of the absolute value of Cn represents the probability of finding the particle in that state.

4. Can Cn have a negative value?

Yes, Cn can have a negative value, as it is a complex number. The sign of Cn is important in determining the phase of the wave function, which affects the interference and behavior of the quantum particle.

5. How does Cn change with time in a quantum system?

Cn can change with time in a quantum system, as the wave function and energy states can change over time. This is known as quantum evolution, and it is described by the time-dependent Schrödinger equation.