Calculating cos(2nπ/3)/(n²) using the Sum of Series 1/n²

  • Thread starter Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
43 replies · 7K views
Yes! So that's the first sum. Now try to evaluate

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{(2n+2)^2}}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ye ok is it (2n+2)^2 or (3n+2)^2? Just in the first page it was 3 not 2 before the n.
 
Ok so from the two sums I get:

1/(9n^2+6n+1)

and

1/(9n^2 +12n+4)
 
Hmm, you won't be able to calculate those sums separately...
You'll have to use the following:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{n^2}}=\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{(3n)^2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{(3n+1)^2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{(3n+2)^2}}[/tex]

You know two of the above series...
 
Rite so what your saying is:

Pi^2/6 = Pi^2/54 + SUM 1/(3n+1)^2 + SUM 1/(3n+2)^2
 
Ah ok so:

Pi^2/54 - 1/2(Pi^2/6 - Pi^2/54) = Sum of series
 
Thanks Micromas you have been great help. Out if curiosity how did you obtain the equation in post 35 ??
 
Well, in post 14, we were asked to calculate those two sums. I first tried to evaluate them separately, but that didn't work. So then I came up with that solution. I guess it's a bit experience from my part. The more problems you solve, the more tricks you know. You also know the trick now :smile:
 
I just finished my calculations and ended up with value of -3Pi^2/54 for sum of series. Is this correct?? Thanks in advance