Calculating Diameter of Beam in Glass Laser: Optics Theory

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
dipstik
Messages
127
Reaction score
4
laser beam of dia=D strikes at theta.i an n.t=1.5 glass pane. what is the diameter of the beam in the glass...

i started by setting up a geometric interpretation of the phenomena and concluded that the light would remain columned and both sides of the beam would simply shift from theta.i to theta.t, where n.t*sin(theta.t)=n.i*sin(theta.i). However, we are covering some of the physical interpretations of optics, such as dispersion and optical path lengths. Considering I'm only 3 weeks into my upperdivision optics class, what aspect of electromagnetic theroy would I introduce into this problem if any? Is it a trick question?... I doubt that.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
they were just looking for the trigonometric alteration of incident area... deceptivly easy...