Circular Aperture Diffraction, Angle of First Minimum

In summary, a helium-neon laser with a glass tube of 1.0mm diameter and a partially transmitting mirror produces a laser beam that diffracts through a circular opening. The divergence angle of the laser, denoted as ##\theta_1##, can be found using the formula $$sin(\theta)=1.22\frac {\lambda} {d}$$ where ##\lambda## is the wavelength and d is the diameter of the circular opening. However, the correct answer for ##\theta_1## is 0.029 degrees, which may be due to the beam emerging through glass with a refractive index of 1.5.
CoffeeCrow

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser ( ##\lambda =633nm##), is built with a glass tube of inside diameter 1.0mm. One mirror is partially transmitting to allow laser light out. From an optical perspective, the laser beam is a light wave that diffracts through a 1.0mm diameter circular opening. The angle to the first minimum, ##\theta_1## is known as the divergence angle of the laser, find this angle.

Homework Equations

$$sin(\theta)=1.22\frac {\lambda} {d}$$ Where d is the diameter of the circular opening, and ##\theta## is the angle to the first minimum.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The light from the laser, as mentioned in the problem statement, is essentially diffracting through a circular aperture of 1.0mm diameter, thus finding ##\theta_1## should be a simple implementation of the above formula:

$$sin(\theta)=1.22 \frac {633 \times {10^{-9}}} {10^{-3}}$$
$$sin(\theta)=0.00077\ radians$$
$$sin(\theta)=0.044\ degrees$$
$$\theta=0.044\ degrees$$

Apparently though, the correct answer is ##\theta=0.029\ degrees## and I'm just not sure what I'm missing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clear and complete post. I fully agree with your answer. So does hyperphysics' calculator (here).
If all of us are wrong, I sure would like to know why and how ! :smile:

Likes CoffeeCrow
Thank you! I've spent about an hour and a half on this and I was almost completely sure the solutions were in error, so thanks for confirming that, I really appreciate your help.

CoffeeCrow said:
Thank you! I've spent about an hour and a half on this and I was almost completely sure the solutions were in error, so thanks for confirming that, I really appreciate your help.
Maybe you need to take into account that the beam emerges through glass. A refractive index of 1.5 happens to match the ratio between the two answers.

1. What is circular aperture diffraction?

Circular aperture diffraction refers to the phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through a small circular opening, such as a pinhole or lens. The light waves spread out and interfere with each other, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

2. What is the angle of first minimum?

The angle of first minimum, also known as the angle of diffraction, is the angle at which the first dark fringe appears in the diffraction pattern. It is calculated by taking the wavelength of light, the size of the aperture, and the distance between the aperture and the screen into account.

3. How does the size of the aperture affect the angle of first minimum?

The size of the aperture directly affects the angle of first minimum. A smaller aperture will result in a larger angle of first minimum, while a larger aperture will result in a smaller angle. This is because a smaller aperture diffracts the light waves more, resulting in a wider spread of the diffraction pattern.

4. What is the significance of the angle of first minimum in circular aperture diffraction?

The angle of first minimum is significant because it determines the resolution of the diffraction pattern. A smaller angle of first minimum means that the diffraction pattern has more distinct fringes, resulting in a higher resolution image. This is important in fields such as microscopy and astronomy, where precise imaging is crucial.

5. How does the wavelength of light affect the angle of first minimum?

The wavelength of light has a direct relationship with the angle of first minimum. As the wavelength increases, the angle of first minimum also increases. This is because longer wavelengths diffract more, resulting in a wider spread of the diffraction pattern and a larger angle of first minimum.