Calculating Distance and Speed of a Falling Hammer

  • Thread starter Thread starter kelsobrooks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Falling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
kelsobrooks
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


OK... Hammer falls from building and after 1 second has fallen 1 story...
How FAR has it fallen after 2 seconds?






Homework Equations


d= s x t


The Attempt at a Solution


So, doesn't that mean the Average Speed for 1 sec is 1 story/sec?
How do I calculate the "Instant" speed at the 1 second mark?

Also I am wondering
how to fiqure the Accelereation in "Stories per Second"

I keep coming up with the acceleration is 1 Story per second/second.

I keep getting confused.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The hammer is under the influence of gravity only.

x=ut+0.5at2

Use the initial information to get the initual velcoity 'u'.