Calculating distance given total work?

• Thread starter heythere1010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the total work done is 2.42 * 10^4 J, with the force of the person pulling being 135 N, the force of friction being 67 N, and the angle on the sled being 48 degrees. Using the equation W=f*d*cos0, the attempt at a solution involved setting up Wt=f*dcos0 + f*dcos0, which resulted in an incorrect answer of 963 m. However, after drawing a free body diagram and considering the direction of the frictional force, it is determined that friction does negative work in this scenario.
heythere1010

Homework Statement

The total work done is 2.42 * 10^4 J (work is from friction and person pulling a sled). The force of the person pulling is 135 N and the force of friction is 67 N. The angle on the sled is 48.

Homework Equations

W=f*d*cos0

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I would need to do the Wt=f*dcos0 + f*dcos0

24200=135*d*cos 48 + 67*d*cos 180

I did this, but the answer was incorrect. the answer is 963 m.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
heythere1010 said:

Homework Statement

The total work done is 2.42 * 10^4 J (work is from friction and person pulling a sled). The force of the person pulling is 135 N and the force of friction is 67 N. The angle on the sled is 48.

Homework Equations

W=f*d*cos0

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I would need to do the Wt=f*dcos0 + f*dcos0

24200=135*d*cos 48 + 67*d*cos 180

I did this, but the answer was incorrect. the answer is 963 m.[/B]
Start by drawing a free body diagram.

SammyS said:
Start by drawing a free body diagram.
Yes, the question has given that.

heythere1010 said:
Yes, the question has given that.
In what direction is the frictional force, relative to the direction of travel?

SammyS said:
In what direction is the frictional force, relative to the direction of travel?
The force of friction is west and the traveling direction is east.

heythere1010 said:
The force of friction is west and the traveling direction is east.
Then, does friction do positive work, or does it do negative work ?

What is the formula for calculating distance given total work?

The formula for calculating distance given total work is distance = work / force. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the work done divided by the force applied.

How do I calculate distance if I know the total work and force?

To calculate distance, simply divide the total work by the force applied. For example, if the total work is 100 joules and the force is 10 newtons, the distance traveled would be 10 meters.

What units of measurement should I use for calculating distance given total work?

The units of measurement for distance, work, and force should all be consistent. For example, if distance is measured in meters, then work should be measured in joules and force in newtons.

Can I use this formula for any type of work and force?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of work and force as long as the units are consistent. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a constant force and does not account for any other factors such as friction or air resistance.

Is there a different formula for calculating distance given total work if the force is not constant?

Yes, if the force is not constant, the formula for calculating distance given total work becomes more complicated and may require integration. This is because the work done by a varying force is equal to the area under the force-distance curve.