Calculating Energy Equivalent of 1 Gram Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter bkelly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
bkelly
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
what is the equation for mass when calculating its energy equivalent? For one gram of mass E = mc(squared) would be

E = m * ( 9*10 to the 16th meters per second squared)

what are the values I put in for m being 1 gram such that the end result will be energy. I have googled this but get all kinds of nonsense other that I want.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In the equation:

[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]

E is in Joules, m is in kilograms, and c is the speed of light in meters per second (~300,000,000 meters/sec).
 
I understand the mass is in kilograms (1000 grams) but what is the exact expression I put into the equation to get this thing to work out to the right units for energy:

E = m * ( 9*10 to the 16th meters per second squared)

for 1 kilogram, what is the full text to be used for replacing m?

E = (1 kilogram) * ( 9*10 to the 16th meters per second squared)
I just don't get this to work out to the right units.

Thank you
 
If we check out the dimensions on the rhs of the eqn, mc², we get

[kg][m²/s²] = [kg.m/s²][m] = [N][m] = [J]

where we used units of kg for the mass and m/s for the speed.
We end up with the units/dimensions of mc² being equivalent to Joules, which is work done or energy.

So, if the mass that you are interestred in is, m = 1 kg, then the energy of this mass is,

E = mc²
E = 1[kg]*(3*10^8)²[m²/s²]
E = 9*10^16 [kg.m/s²][m]
E = 9*10^16 [J]
============

Hmm, just noticed. You have the speed squared as metres per second squared. That should have been metres squared per second squared.
 
I think I understand what you are saying. It seems I was putting too much into the definition of a (kilo)gram. So to put this in other words, if we could translate one kilogram of mass into its energy equivalent, we could get 9 * 10^16 watt seconds of electric power. Thats a lot of power.

Yes, I did forget that meters squared.

Thanks for your help.
 
I would just say, watt seconds of power. I don't think you need to specify it as electric.

And yes, you do get a lot of power when you convert mass to energy.