Heat Energy and Power -- Heating ice in a copper pan

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Madelin Pierce
Messages
24
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Calculate the power needed to heat a 1360 gram chunk of ice in a 600 gram copper pan from 0 ◦C to the system’s final temperature of 35◦C in a time of 10 minutes.

Homework Equations


Q=mcchange in temp
Q=mLf
P= energy/time

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought that adding the heat energy of ice, q=mLf, with the copper's heat, q=mc change in temp, and then dividing by time. Or would subtract copper from ice? And what do I do when it says temp of whole system?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Madelin Pierce said:
thought that adding the heat energy of ice, q=mLf, with the copper's heat, q=mc change in temp, ...
... plus one more thing.
 
haruspex said:
... plus one more thing.
I don't what it is
 
Madelin Pierce said:
I don't what it is
What is the final state of the ice?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gneill
haruspex said:
What is the final state of the ice?
water