1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating energy lost in collisions?

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    My notes don't provide an equation.

I am given inital and final velocity
    Vi=50 m/s
    Vf=25 m/s

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I'm afraid it's worse than that: if you're trying to do an energy calculation, you're going to need a mass as well... If this is a collision problem, you're going to need both masses and the initial and final velocities for each of them.

Are you covering linear momentum in your course right now?

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    oops forgot to note the masses: each is is 1 kg.

sorry!

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Is what you posted originally the initial and final speed of both masses? There still seems to be detail missing from this problem.

In any case, you'll need the formula for kinetic energy. Find the sum of the kinetic energies of the two masses before the collision and compare it to the sum of their kinetic energies afterwards.

6. Oct 25, 2007 #5
    agh. no!
    what was i thinking?!
    ok mass 1= 1.0 kg; initial velocity = 50; final velocity =25
    mass 1.0 kg; initial velocity= 0; final velocity = 25

7. Oct 25, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

It looks like you now have all the data assembled. How you do calculate the kinetic energy of an object? Find the initial and final kinetic energy for each mass and the total initial and final kinetic energies of the pair.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?