Calculating Energy Usage of a Hair Dryer

  • Thread starter Thread starter aquamarine08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Hair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
aquamarine08
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Power problem!

Homework Statement



(a) How many joules of electrical energy are used by a 1650-W hair dryer in 10 min? (b) If the dryer is operated a total of 4.5 h during one month, how much will this contribute to the electrical bill if the billing rate is 12 cents/kWh?

Homework Equations



P=[tex]\frac{w}{t}[/tex] --> w=Pt

The Attempt at a Solution



(a) w=Pt -> (1650)(10)= 16500 J

I figured since the answer was supposed to be in Joules, I would use the equation w=Pt to figure out the amount but I ended up getting the wrong answer. The correct answer is 9.9 x [tex]10^{5}[/tex].

(b) Since I didn't get the right answer for (a) I knew my answer wouldn't be right here either. I don't really know how to solve this question either but I figured I should convert the 4.5 h into minutes so it matches the amount for part (a)..so I got 190 minutes, and that's pretty much it.

Please help, we didn't get any notes to refer to for this homework and it is our first day learning about Power. :confused:
Thanks so much.:smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) w=Pt -> (1650)(10)= 16500 J

For part (a): since 1 Watt = 1 Joule/second, you need to change the 10 minutes into seconds to keep your units consistent.
 
ok thanks...i got part a! now I am just workin on b...