Calculating Energy Usage for a Jet Airliner

• Thread starter girlinterrupt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the question asked for the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of a 31000kg jet airliner flying at 11000m with a speed of 910 km/h. The gravitational potential energy was calculated to be 3.3 x 10^9 J and the kinetic energy was calculated to be 1 x 10^16 J. The question also asked how much fuel would be used to raise the jet's potential from sea level to 11000m, given that the jet fuel contains 30.3 MJ of energy per litre and the jet engines are 30% efficient at converting the fuel's energy. Using the given information, it was determined that 10/3 litres of fuel would be required.
girlinterrupt
Hi,

Can someone please check my answers and possibly help with part c; I don't know where to begin on solving it.

Homework Statement

A 31000kg jet airliner is flying at 11000m doing 910 km/h.

(a) What is the jet’s gravitational potential energy (GPE) at 11000m? (GPE=0 at sea level)
(b) What is the jet’s kinetic energy (KE)?
(c) If the jet fuel used contains 30.3MJ of energy per litre and the jet engines are 30% efficient at converting the fuel’s
energy, how much fuel is used just to raise the jet’s potential from sea level to 11000m

The Attempt at a Solution

What is known:

m= 31000kg
h= 11000m
g=9.8m/s
v = 910km/h
e = 30.3 MJ/L

Answer:
a)
Gravitational Potential Energy:
U = mgh
U = 31000 x 9.8 x 11000
U = 3341800000 J = 3.3 x 10^9 J

b)

K = 1/2 mv^2
K = 1/2 31000 x 910000^2
K = 12835550000000000 = 1 x 1016 J

c) I have no idea where to start with this one!

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

girlinterrupt said:
A 31000kg jet airliner is flying at 11000m doing 910 km/h.

(a) What is the jet’s gravitational potential energy (GPE) at 11000m? (GPE=0 at sea level)
(b) What is the jet’s kinetic energy (KE)?
(c) If the jet fuel used contains 30.3MJ of energy per litre and the jet engines are 30% efficient at converting the fuel’s
energy, how much fuel is used just to raise the jet’s potential from sea level to 11000m

Hi girlinterrupt! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You know from a) how many joules you need, so for c) just do the arithmetic, making allowance for the megajoules and the 30%! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

Firstly, thanks for the reply!

I'm finding it difficult to work out what the question was actually asking... I am so new to physics.

so basically if I think of the 30.3MJ per litre at 100% efficiency, I can work out the energy required at 30% efficiency... the thing that has thrown me in the question is "how much fuel is used"... but i suppose it is valid to equate it in terms of this...

30300000 J per litres of fuel * 3.3 (efficiency) = 99990000 J / Litre of Fuel

Sound good?

Hi girlinterrupt! :smile:
girlinterrupt said:
so basically if I think of the 30.3MJ per litre at 100% efficiency, I can work out the energy required at 30% efficiency... the thing that has thrown me in the question is "how much fuel is used"... but i suppose it is valid to equate it in terms of this...

30300000 J per litres of fuel * 3.3 (efficiency) = 99990000 J / Litre of Fuel

Sound good?

That's it!

Just two tips …

i] use 10^ or mega … if you write all those 0s, sooner or later you'll make a mistake

ii] why approximate, with 3.3 … the question deliberately makes the arithmetic easy, so why not use 10/3 exactly? :smile:

Thanks for the help and tips! :smile:

I Appreciate it!

Related to Calculating Energy Usage for a Jet Airliner

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms, such as light, heat, motion, and electricity.

How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced in a variety of ways, including burning fossil fuels, harnessing the power of the sun, using nuclear reactions, or converting the energy of moving water or wind.

What are the different types of energy?

There are several types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy (from chemical reactions), nuclear energy (from atomic reactions), and electromagnetic energy (from light and other electromagnetic waves).

How is energy used?

Energy is used in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from powering our homes and vehicles to manufacturing goods and producing food. It is also used in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in the production of electricity or the creation of new materials.

What are some renewable sources of energy?

Renewable energy sources are those that can be replenished naturally and are not depleted with use. Examples include solar energy, wind energy, hydro energy, geothermal energy, and biomass energy. These sources are considered more sustainable and environmentally friendly than non-renewable sources, such as fossil fuels.