1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating entropy, microstate/macrostate probabilities

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    Hi all, could somebody look over my answer please. I'm pulled the equation I used off the internet but can't remember where so I'm not sure what it's called.

I took a picture of my answer as I thought it would be easier to read than fiddling with symbols here.

QUESTION
    Question_zpse877aa66.jpg

ANSWER ATTEMPT
    20131103_132450_zps4b5b3476.jpg

Cheers,
    James

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I don't really understand your calculation. I would agree that 0.144 is the probability of finding the system in the macrostate of "half A and half B". But then after that, you try to use this probability to calculate entropy... That doesn't really make sense to me. When you calculate entropy, you should be summing over each of the possible states, and using the probability of each of these states. I don't see how your calculation does that.

Also, I think maybe you are making things more difficult than you need to. You know Boltzmann's entropy formula, right? why not use that? The problem says to calculate the entropy associated with the macrostate "half A and half B", so Boltzmann's entropy formula is ideal.

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    Hi BruceW, yeah turned out I was using the wrong equation so sending myself in circles. You were right I did need to use the Boltzmann entropy formula which came out with the correct result.

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

cool, glad you figured it out in the end :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted