Finding (f of g)(3) where f(x) = √x and g(x) = x+1

  • Thread starter Thread starter tecrekka
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
tecrekka
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(f of g)

f(x)= sqrt/x

g(x) = x+1

Homework Equations



(f of g)(3)

The Attempt at a Solution



sqrt/3 (4) = 4(sqrt/3) (incorrect)

Correct answer is 2 but I don't see how?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
f(x)=sqrt/x has no sense. Is not it f(x)= sqrt(x)?

ehild
 
You are absolutely correct, sorry, I see now that I put it in improperly. I've made it harder^2
 
You are doing in your working (f * g), not (f of g). In the latter, you pass the result of g to f.
 
I'm just not seeing what you are saying for some reason, if (x)=3 don't I substitute every (x) with 3?
 
tecrekka said:
I'm just not seeing what you are saying for some reason, if (x)=3 don't I substitute every (x) with 3?
No, not at all. To evaluate f(g(3)) you need to evaluate g(3), and then use that number in f.

For example, if g(3) = 5 -- I'm just making up numbers here -- then you would evaluate f(5). That would be f(g(3)).
 
tecrekka said:
I'm just not seeing what you are saying for some reason, if (x)=3 don't I substitute every (x) with 3?
I would say "yes, you do", but that [itex]fog(x)= f(g(x))[/itex] only has one x!
 
Last edited by a moderator: