Calculating Fall Time on Earth: Integration of Acceleration

In summary: That's because the Earth's radius is 6.37 × 106 meters, and it would take 17 minutes to travel the distance from the Earth's center to the edge.
Owl2256

Homework Statement

Movies are always chock-full of scientific inaccuracies. As educated people, it’s our duty to ruin all the fun of it by taking the time to work out what should happen. For this problem, let’s look at the transport in the 2012 remake of “Total Recall.”

In the movie, there are only two places to live, the UK and Australia, due to toxic pollution everywhere else in the world. Since they’re literally on opposite sides of the Earth, people commute between the locations by a gravity elevator. The movie states that the travel time between the ends of the Earth is about 17 minutes.

1. (a) Let’s start with an easy question:

Assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 through the entire fall and starting from rest, how long would it take to fall the diameter of the Earth? Derive your result from integration of the acceleration.Assume object is dropped in a vacuum, the Earth is not rotating, and there’s enough space for that long of a drop.

Homework Equations

The radius of the Earth r0 = 6.37 × 106 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the integral and i got 4.9 m^2/s^2, but I'm not sure what that means or what comes next. it asks to derive the integral so i feel like that is a double negative and in the end you would still have 9.8 m/s^2 so I'm really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the old "hole-thru-the-earth" SHM problem. Solve the 2nd-order ODE to get T.

Likes Owl2256
rude man said:
This is the old "hole-thru-the-earth" SHM problem. Solve the 2nd-order ODE to get T.
my teacher has barely touched upon differential equations what do you mean by solve the second order ODE to get time? I have only done first order so far.

Last edited:
Owl2256 said:

Homework Statement

Movies are always chock-full of scientific inaccuracies. As educated people, it’s our duty to ruin all the fun of it by taking the time to work out what should happen. For this problem, let’s look at the transport in the 2012 remake of “Total Recall.”

In the movie, there are only two places to live, the UK and Australia, due to toxic pollution everywhere else in the world. Since they’re literally on opposite sides of the Earth, people commute between the locations by a gravity elevator. The movie states that the travel time between the ends of the Earth is about 17 minutes.

Assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 through the entire fall and starting from rest, how long would it take to fall the diameter of the Earth? Derive your result from integration of the acceleration.Assume object is dropped in a vacuum, the Earth is not rotating, and there’s enough space for that long of a drop.

Homework Equations

I took the integral and i got 4.9 m^2/s^2, but I'm not sure what that means or what comes next. it asks to derive the integral so i feel like that is a double negative and in the end you would still have 9.8 m/s^2 so I'm really confused.
You integrated acceleration with respect to what?
The first question is to get the time assuming constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 Recall how acceleration is defined.

Owl2256 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Well, it's SHM if you assume uniform density of the Earth, but the problem here says to find the time of transport assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 .

Taking those instructions literally will give a time that's much too small.

Your instructions say to do this by integration of acceleration.

You need to integrate acceleration, with respect to time to get velocity, (as a function of time).

Integrate that to get distance as a function of time. You just get the usual kinematic equations.

You need to know the distance through the center of the Earth to get your answer for time.Furthermore, it appears that in your attempt, you integrated acceleration with respect to distance, but acceleration is not a derivative with respect to distance.

Last edited:
Owl2256 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Please don't double post the same thread.

SHM ODE is m d2r/dt2 = -kr.
r is distance from Earth's center. Initial conditions for you are r=R, dr/dt=0. R is radius of earth. You assumed the force is constant at -mg but that is incorrect. The closer you get to the center (r=0) the weaker the force.
You should be able to calculate what k is. It will be due to all of Earth's mass inside r. (Mass outside r produces zero force.)
So this is just a mass-spring thing, aka SHM. You'll get something like r(t) = A cos(ωt) where A results from the initial conditions and ω is a function of k. The crucial thing is that k is indeed a constant for all r<R. (You don't care about r>R.) Your answer will be half the period of the oscillation of the elevator dropping from the U.K. to Australia and back.

The motion is SHM only if uniform density is assumed for the earth.

The problem asks for a (very under-estimated) lower bound for the time in question, by assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 for the entire distance traveled.

SammyS said:
The motion is SHM only if uniform density is assumed for the earth.
Obviously.
The problem asks for a (very under-estimated) lower bound for the time in question, by assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 for the entire distance traveled.
I hadn't noticed that. That assumption is so absurd it should never have been posited in the first place. But OK, that's what it posited.

rude man said:
Obviously.

I hadn't noticed that. That assumption is so absurd it should never have been posited in the first place. But OK, that's what it posited.

The assumption is especially absurd in a post that claims to be checking for scientific accuracy in movies! (Note: I am not blaming the OP, who just follows orders.)

Ray Vickson said:
The assumption is especially absurd in a post that claims to be checking for scientific accuracy in movies! (Note: I am not blaming the OP, who just follows orders.)
Agreed, 100%.

Well, it does turn out that even with this wild assumption which should give an absurdly small time, that time is somewhat greater than 17 minutes. (Also, the velocity as the "elevator" emerges on the far side would be more than escape velocity for earth!)

A slightly more reasonable, but still very rough lower bound for the time would result from using constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 to Earth's center, then -9.8m/s2 to the far surface. That way the velocity at the surface would be 0. That total time is more than twice the 17 minutes quoted in the movie.

SammyS said:
Well, it does turn out that even with this wild assumption which should give an absurdly small time, that time is somewhat greater than 17 minutes. (Also, the velocity as the "elevator" emerges on the far side would be more than escape velocity for earth!)
well, you got to step out quick and hang onto something solid!
A slightly more reasonable, but still very rough lower bound for the time would result from using constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 to Earth's center, then -9.8m/s2 to the far surface. That way the velocity at the surface would be 0. That total time is more than twice the 17 minutes quoted in the movie.
I think that's what they had in mind. g always points to Earth center.[/QUOTE]

What is integration of acceleration?

Integration of acceleration is a mathematical process that involves finding the velocity of an object by integrating the acceleration over time. It is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps us understand the motion of objects in the real world.

Why is integration of acceleration important?

Integration of acceleration is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects. It is used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and understanding the behavior of moving objects.

What is the difference between integration of acceleration and differentiation of velocity?

The integration of acceleration is the reverse process of differentiation of velocity. While differentiation finds the rate of change of velocity over time, integration finds the total change in velocity over a given time interval.

How is integration of acceleration calculated?

The integration of acceleration can be calculated using various methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the time interval into smaller segments and calculating the area under the acceleration-time curve for each segment.

What are some real-life examples of integration of acceleration?

Integration of acceleration is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a car from its acceleration data, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of a roller coaster. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the speed and acceleration of a baseball during a pitch.