Well here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a piece of software that calculates some information for a strain gaged torque shaft. The software takes the Outer Diameter, and Inner Diameter, and some other parameters strain gage specific. It then calculates various numbers. At the end it estimates the breaking points at 1000 cycles, and 1000000 cycles for hardned an unhardened steel. I'm trying to figure out how it works, so I can write a newer version of the software. I have found that the numbers it comes up with rely on only the Diameter variables.
Here is some of the software's output:
Input:
WHAT IS THE SHAFT OD IN INCHES ? 3.755
WHAT IS THE SHAFT ID IN INCHES ? 0.0
WHAT IS THE GAGE FACTOR ? 2.065
WHAT IS THE GAGE RESISTANCE ? 350
WHAT IS THE TOTAL BRIDGE RESISTANCE INCLUDING LEADS ? 350
WHAT TORQUE WILL THE SHAFT SEE IN NM ? 34000
ZERO OUTPUT IN uE ? –225
Output:
CALIBRATIONS
25K = 45634.85 NM
50K = 22817.43 NM
100K = 11408.71 NM
200K = 5704.356 NM
400K = 2852.178 NM
TOTAL BRIDGE OUTPUT AT 34000 NM = 5197.133 MICRO STRAIN
ACTUAL STRAIN IN SHAFT AT 34000 NM = 1258.386 MICRO STRAIN
DATA FOR TYPICAL 1E509 STEEL TORQUE SHAFT IN FULL REVERSAL CYCLES
FOR UNHARDENED STEEL
BREAKING POINT AT 1000 CYCLES = 72172.97 NM
BREAKING POINT AT 1,000,000 CYCLES = 21780.29 NM
CONSERVATIVE RUNNING TORQUE IS .5 TIMES BREAKING POINT
FOR HARDENED STEEL
BREAKING POINT AT 1000 CYCLES = 168682.4 NM
BREAKING POINT AT 1,000,000 CYCLES = 42311.95 NM
CONSERVATIVE RUNNING TORQUE IS .5 TIMES BREAKING POINT