Calculating Flow Rate and Fill Time for Gravity-Fed Water Trucks

In summary: I'm not sure.The pipes and orifices do not alter the hydrostatic head between the base of the storage tank and the base of the truck tank, but they will provide resistance to flow and therefore reduce the flow rate as the water level in the truck tank rises. These will therefore have to be taken into account when assessing the filling time, which will be longer than that for a simple (shorter) pipe of the same diameter.Since you are filling two trucks simultaneously, the total flow will be double that for filling one truck, but the time will be the same.I hope this helps.In summary, the conversation discusses filling two 5,000 gallon water trucks from a 20,000 gallon circular water storage tank by
beachfarmer

Homework Statement

Greetings:

I'm a bit rusty on Bernouli's Equation...any help is appreciated.

I would like to fill two 5,000 gallon water trucks from a 20,000 gallon circular water storage tank by gravity. Here is the info:

1. The 20,000 gallon storage tank is a cylinder and sits verticle. It is approximately 15 feet in diameter and 15 feet tall. The exit orfice is at the center on the bottom of the tank.

2. There is 100 feet of 12 inch PVC piping from the tank to a tee that reduces each branch to 6 inches. There is an additional 10 feet of 6 inch piping off each branch which are terminated with a spigot. At each spigot the truck hose is connected, and when opened, fills the water tanker trucks.

3. Assume two 90 degree elbows in the12 inch PVC and another 90 degree elbow in each 6 inch branch.

4. Assume 5 feet of head between the storage tank orfice and the spigot and that the orfice elevation is equal to the top of the water truck tank.

Questions:

1. What is the flow rate at the spigot?
2. How long does it take to fill the 2 trucks simultaneously?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli and pipe flow

The Attempt at a Solution

Need your help!..any info is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no idea how to approach your problem but this software looks like it can do it and here is a free trial version..

http://www.pipeflow.com/

I've no connection with the company that produced it.

beachfarmer said:

Homework Statement

Greetings:

I'm a bit rusty on Bernouli's Equation...any help is appreciated.

I would like to fill two 5,000 gallon water trucks from a 20,000 gallon circular water storage tank by gravity. Here is the info:

1. The 20,000 gallon storage tank is a cylinder and sits verticle. It is approximately 15 feet in diameter and 15 feet tall. The exit orfice is at the center on the bottom of the tank.

2. There is 100 feet of 12 inch PVC piping from the tank to a tee that reduces each branch to 6 inches. There is an additional 10 feet of 6 inch piping off each branch which are terminated with a spigot. At each spigot the truck hose is connected, and when opened, fills the water tanker trucks.

3. Assume two 90 degree elbows in the12 inch PVC and another 90 degree elbow in each 6 inch branch.

4. Assume 5 feet of head between the storage tank orfice and the spigot and that the orfice elevation is equal to the top of the water truck tank.

Questions:

1. What is the flow rate at the spigot?
2. How long does it take to fill the 2 trucks simultaneously?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli and pipe flow

The Attempt at a Solution

Need your help!..any info is appreciated

Before I look at this I would want the dimensions of the water truck tanks. It might make a difference whether those tanks are narrow and deep or wide and shallow. If you weren't given those dimensions in a problem set then maybe it doesn't, but I would like to know.

rude man said:
Before I look at this I would want the dimensions of the water truck tanks. It might make a difference whether those tanks are narrow and deep or wide and shallow. If you weren't given those dimensions in a problem set then maybe it doesn't, but I would like to know.

I'm curious why that would make a difference?

The size of the pond at the bottom of a waterfall has no effect on the flow rate of the waterfall.

Like I said, I'm not sure.

Per your description, if I got it right, the spigot is 5' below the top of the truck tanks. At first the truck tanks are empty and the pressure p at the spigot is 1 at. But once the water level inside the truck tanks reaches the spigot level, p increases beyond 1 at. to ρgh where h is the height of the water column above the spigot. Which of course is building up continuously. For h > 0 the ensuing pressure buildup at the spigot will slow down the rate of storage tank outflow to accommodate Bernoulli, viz. p + ρgh + ρv2/2 is conserved, and p will be building up inside the truck tanks once the spigot level is reached.

Make any sense?

Minor edit.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Like I said, I'm not sure.

Per your description, if I got it right, the spigot is 5' below the top of the truck tanks.

Ah ok I understand. I didn't spot that bit.

It seems as much an exercise in comprehension (i.e., mind reading) as physics. My interpretation:

The (sic) truck hose sounds singular, so most likely is the discharge hose from the base of the tanker, so it follows when filling via this route there is always water pressure to overcome.

You are filling (sic) the tankers, so the water in the tank being filled rises to the same level as the storage tank orifice. Might it be necessary to assume the truck tanks are 5m in height? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Related to Calculating Flow Rate and Fill Time for Gravity-Fed Water Trucks

1. What is a gravity fill water truck?

A gravity fill water truck is a type of vehicle used to transport and distribute water for various purposes, such as construction, agriculture, and firefighting. It is equipped with a tank and a gravity-fed system that allows water to flow out of the truck through a hose or other dispensing mechanism.

2. How does a gravity fill water truck work?

A gravity fill water truck works by utilizing the force of gravity to move water from the tank to the desired location. The truck is positioned on an elevated surface, and the tank is filled with water. When the valve is opened, the force of gravity causes the water to flow out of the tank and through the hose or dispenser.

3. What are the advantages of using a gravity fill water truck?

One of the main advantages of using a gravity fill water truck is its simplicity and low maintenance requirements. It does not require any external power source, such as electricity or a pump, to function. Additionally, it is more cost-effective and environmentally friendly compared to other water distribution methods.

4. What are the limitations of a gravity fill water truck?

One of the limitations of a gravity fill water truck is its dependence on an elevated surface for proper functioning. This may limit its use in certain terrains or locations. Additionally, the flow rate may be slower compared to other water distribution methods, making it less suitable for large-scale operations.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a gravity fill water truck?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when operating a gravity fill water truck. Always check the condition of the tank and valves before use to prevent any potential leaks. It is also important to ensure the truck is parked on a stable and level surface to prevent accidents. Proper training and following safety guidelines are crucial for safe and efficient operation of a gravity fill water truck.