Calculating Focal Length of a Converging Lens Using Incident and Refracted Rays

  • Thread starter Thread starter NikkiNik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Converging Lens
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
NikkiNik
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The figure illustrates qualitatively a converging lens focusing monochromatic rays from A to B. The vertical and horizontal scales of the figure are not the same. The top ray leaves A at an angle of 2.38 deg above the optic axis and leaves B at an angle of 1.25 deg below the optic axis. The total distance from A to B is 75.3 cm.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/NikkiNik88/convLens3.gif

Calculate the focal length of the lens for that light.



Homework Equations



1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not even sure where to begin when I'm given the angles. I think 75.3 cm = d0 + di
but I'm not sure where to go from there
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NikkiNik! :smile:

This is a geometry exercise …

you have two triangles, you know the lengths a+b and h, and you know a/h and b/h. :wink:
 
If AOP is the axis of the lens, and AP and BP are the incident and refracted rays, then OP/do = tan 2.38 and BP /di = tan 1.25.
Or do*tan2.38 = di*tan1.25
And do + di is given.
Find do and di and hence focal length of the lens.