Understanding the Impact of Convex Lens Focal Length on Water Temperature

In summary: You need to be precise about the equipment you are using, the environment it's in, and what you are measuring. The focal length of the lens is not as important as the aperture.
fernelau
New user has been reminded to post schoolwork problems in the Homework Help forum, and to show their work
Summary: Hi, I'm doing an assessment for Physics on Optics topics, but I can't really explain how the CV affect the RV

CV : Focal length of convex lens
RV : Temperature of water after 20 minutes under the sun

How I should explain for the temperature difference? 🤔
Please help, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to help because you are not giving us enough information:
1) Is that temperature, or temperature rise?
2) Ambient temperature?
3) Sketch of your experimental setup?
4) Necessary dimensions.
5) What is the purpose of your experiment?
6) What variables did I purposely not list?

Likes Ibix
What counts most is the aperture or energy gathering power of the lens rather than the focal length. A secondary effect may be the thickness (and hence absorption) of the lens.
@jrmichler has pointed out that more detail and explanation is needed if you want sensible answers. (We only know what you write about your experiment.)

Likes russ_watters
fernelau said:
Summary: Hi, I'm doing an assessment for Physics on Optics topics, but I can't really explain how the CV affect the RV

How I should explain for the temperature difference? 🤔
There are really three questions you need to address
  1. Do I measure a difference
  2. Is it significant
  3. How can I explain results
Number (2) is the important question. If I see a difference is it because my experiment was flawed and/or not precise enough?. One interesting question would be " how various is the result for ten repetitions with the same lens ?" Is my difference bigger than that? The data should be time stamped (sun angle etc...any clouds).
Here is my suggestion for the initial experimental design:
  1. Choose 3 focal lengths
  2. Run nine tests using each lens 3 times in "random" order
  3. Compare the between and within lens variability. A graph will tell you instantly what you need to know.
More repetitions would allow you to see smaller effects.

hutchphd said:
There are really three questions you need to address
  1. Do I measure a difference
  2. Is it significant
  3. How can I explain results
Number (2) is the important question. If I see a difference is it because my experiment was flawed and/or not precise enough?. One interesting question would be " how various is the result for ten repetitions with the same lens ?" Is my difference bigger than that? The data should be time stamped (sun angle etc...any clouds).
Here is my suggestion for the initial experimental design:
  1. Choose 3 focal lengths
  2. Run nine tests using each lens 3 times in "random" order
  3. Compare the between and within lens variability. A graph will tell you instantly what you need to know.
More repetitions would allow you to see smaller effects.
Before any of that valuable stuff, you should look at some theory and decide what, if any, level of effect you are expecting.
"See what happens" can involve a lot of time and effort and yield not a lot of information. The area of the objective lens is the prime factor for 'point sources'. If you have a distributed object (as with a normal photograph) then the 'f number' is what counts (f number is aperture / focal length). The sun is not quite a point source so you may find that f number has an effect - so your experiment may show some significant trend. It would be worth while searching "f number in photography" and sind a site that suits you.
If you still have the equipment available, you can try varying aperture (circles cut out of card) to see the effect.

Likes hutchphd, Bystander and russ_watters
I thought of something else, too. You are heating the water up in a volume that's large, compared with the optical image of the Sun, whatever lens you are using. That makes the optics even less important.
How much sunlight is getting through the water and out the other side?
Details, details, details - all very important in experiments.

1. How does the focal length of a convex lens affect water temperature?

The focal length of a convex lens determines the distance at which the light rays converge. This means that a shorter focal length will cause the light to converge at a closer point, resulting in a higher intensity of light being focused on the water. This increase in light intensity can lead to a rise in water temperature.

2. Is there a specific focal length that will have the greatest impact on water temperature?

There is no specific focal length that will have the greatest impact on water temperature. The impact will depend on various factors such as the distance between the lens and water, the intensity of the light source, and the properties of the water itself.

3. Can the focal length of a convex lens be adjusted to control water temperature?

Yes, the focal length of a convex lens can be adjusted by changing the distance between the lens and the light source. By increasing the distance, the focal length will also increase, resulting in a wider beam of light and lower intensity on the water. This can help to control the water temperature.

4. Will the impact of focal length on water temperature be the same for all types of lenses?

No, different types of lenses can have varying effects on water temperature even with the same focal length. This is because the shape and curvature of the lens can also affect how the light is focused on the water.

5. What other factors should be considered when studying the impact of convex lens focal length on water temperature?

Aside from focal length, other factors that should be considered include the intensity and wavelength of the light source, the type of lens, the distance between the lens and water, and the properties of the water such as color and transparency. These factors can all play a role in determining the impact of focal length on water temperature.