Calculating Focal Points of a Thick Lens

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
PChar
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A thick lens has an index of refraction of 1.560, thickness of 3.0cm, and radii of curvature of R1= -4.50cm, R2= -3.60cm.

Calculate the positions of the focal points (relative to the vertices).

Homework Equations



[itex]\frac{n}{s}+\frac{n'}{s'}=\frac{n'-n}{R}[/itex]

[itex]ffl = \frac{f1(t + f2)}{t-(f1 + f2)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I assume I need to first focal length for each lens to plug into the front focal length and back focal length formulas, meaning s' = ∞ so for L1:

f1 = [itex]\frac{R}{n'-n}=\frac{-4.50cm}{1.560-1.000}[/itex] = -8.04cm

Do I have the right idea? If so, will I need to swap the indexes of refraction when doing the opposite side of the lens, so that light is coming from the left side?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
These might help?

"For the case of a lens of thickness d in air, and surfaces with radii of curvature R1 and R2, the effective focal length f is given by:"

From half way down the following page,

http://www.answers.com/topic/focal-length

Worked examples here,

http://www.drdrbill.com/downloads/optics/geometric-optics/Thick_Lenses.pdf

Found via,

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#...w.,cf.osb&fp=fc8f4a6474bcae3f&biw=917&bih=404

Good luck!