Deriving the Thick Lens Equation: How to Obtain the Equations for a Thick Lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equations for a thick lens and obtaining the equation ##\frac {1} {f}=\frac {n_L-n'} {nR_2}-\frac {n_L-n} {nR_1}-\frac {(n_L-n)(n_L-n')} {nn_L}\frac {t} {R_1R_2}## using three equations and the matrix method, but the source being used assumes ##n'=n=1##, making it difficult to simplify the solution.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Derive the equations for the thick lens and obtain,

##\frac {1} {f}=\frac {n_L-n'} {nR_2}-\frac {n_L-n} {nR_1}-\frac {(n_L-n)(n_L-n')} {nn_L}\frac {t} {R_1R_2}##

Homework Equations

##n## is the medium where light ray enters,
##n_L## is the medium of the lens and ##n'## is the outer medium where light ray goes out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used three equations to derive the upper equation

##\frac {n} {s_1}+\frac {n_L} {(s_1)'}=\frac {n_L-n} {R_1}## (1)
##\frac {n_L} {s_2}+\frac {n'} {(s_2)'}=\frac {n'-n_L} {R_2}## (2)
##s_2=t-(s_1)'## (3)

so I inserted the (3) in (2) and then I added new (2) with (1) and I get

##\frac {n} {s_1}+\frac {n'} {(s_2)'}+n_L[\frac {1} {(s_1)'}-\frac {1} {(s_1)'-t}]=\frac {n_L-n} {R_1}+\frac {n'-n_L} {R_2}##

but now I am stucked maybe is there another equation that I might need to consider or what should I do ?

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
How resistant are you to just looking up the derivation?

I have already found that site. But on the site, it assumes ##n'=n=1## but I don't have that option so it doesn't simplify my solution.

But thanks

Looks like just a lot of grunt work with Snell's law and geometry. Or Fermat's principle and geometry.

Yes i derived them using matrix method

1. What is the Thick Lens Equation?

The Thick Lens Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the focal length of a thick lens, which is a lens with a non-negligible thickness. It takes into account the refractive index and radii of curvature of the lens surfaces.

2. Why is the Thick Lens Equation important?

The Thick Lens Equation is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a thick lens and predict the position of an image formed by the lens. This is crucial in lens design and in understanding how optical systems work.

3. How is the Thick Lens Equation derived?

The Thick Lens Equation is derived using the principles of geometric optics and the thin lens equation. It involves using the lens maker's equation to calculate the effective focal length of the lens and then applying the lens formula to determine the focal length of the entire thick lens.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Thick Lens Equation?

The main assumptions made in deriving the Thick Lens Equation are that the lens is thin compared to its focal length and that the light rays passing through the lens are paraxial (close to the optical axis). In addition, the lens is assumed to have a symmetrical shape and a uniform refractive index.

5. What are the limitations of the Thick Lens Equation?

The Thick Lens Equation is only accurate for thin lenses with small angles of incidence and small deviations from the optical axis. It also does not take into account aberrations caused by the lens, which can affect the quality of the image. In addition, it does not apply to lenses made of materials with a high refractive index, such as diamond.