Finding energy and power of a 1000 Hz sound wave on the tympanum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Werg22
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
1
The human tympanum is displaced by sound waves. This displacement is linked to the acting force by the equation:

F = 4x

where x is the displacement in meters.

A wave of frequency 1000 Hz provoques a displacement of 1.5 x 10^-5 m. Prove that the energy given to the tympanum is given in 0.25*10^-3 s. Also find the average power of the wave.

I don't how power is linked to frequency and energy in therms of waves...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The intensity of a wave is defined as
[tex]I=\frac{P}{S}[/tex]
where [itex]P[/itex] is its power (the amount of energy it transports per second) through a (perpendicular) cross sectional area [itex]S[/itex].

The intensity is given by
[tex]I=2\pi^2v\rho f^2A^2[/tex]
which includes the propagation speed of the wave, [itex]v[/itex], while it is traveling through a medium of density [itex]\rho[/itex], creating a disturbance with a frequency [itex]f[/itex] and amplitude [itex]A[/itex].
 
Last edited: