Calculating Gravitational Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion over the concept of "gain" in calculating gravitational potential between two points. The textbook example asks to calculate the gain in gravitational potential between two points, but the student's calculation and the textbook's solution are opposite. The student believes that gravitational potential always increases as one moves away from a gravitating object, but the textbook may define "gain" as the absolute value of "change". The student expresses concern about getting the question right on an exam and is advised to clarify the definition of "gain" with their instructor to ensure accuracy.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

I was going through a worked example in my textbook to gain a better understanding but after I had a go myself it is the opposite to what I have calculated. I have attached the worked example which asks you to calculate the gain in gravitational potential moving from a point that is 3800km away from the Earth's surface to a point that is 2250km away.

Homework Equations

V = - GM/R (where V is gravitational potential) using G as 6.67 x 10^-11 and M as 5.97 x 10^24 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought as you move further away the gravitational potential increases as it is inversely proportional to the negative of 'R'. So how can moving closer to the Earth be a GAIN in gravitational potential. When I calculated it I added the radius of the Earth to the distances from the Earth. I don't see how yo can leave that out like they do in the worked solution? So I did:

Potential at A = -GM/R = - 3.92 x 10^7 J/kg
Potential at B = -GM/R = - 4.62 x 10^7 J/kg

I used the radius of the Earth as 6.371 x 10^6 m

So I thought any change in physics is always the final minus the inital. So if we are going from point A to point B it would be:

change in gravitational potential = -4.62 x 10^7 - (-3.92 x 10^7) = -0.7 x 10^7 J/kg

I thought this made sense to me as I thought gravitational potential energy and gravitational potential always increase as you move away from the gravitating object. Since B is closer to the Earth I expected my answer to be negative meaning the gravitational potential has decreased as you have got closer to the gravitating object - which is has! However, the worked example is the complete opposite to what I have done so now I am confused. Please help!

Attachments

• GP Worked Example.docx
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct and I agree that the example is confusing. The gravitational potential decreases as one moves nearer the center of the Earth. It seems that this textbook has defined "gain" as the absolute value of "change", the latter always being final minus initial value.

On Edit: The question would make more sense if it asked, "What is the gain of gravitational potential between the two points?"

Likes Jimmy87
kuruman said:
You are correct and I agree that the example is confusing. The gravitational potential decreases as one moves nearer the center of the Earth. It seems that this textbook has defined "gain" as the absolute value of "change", the latter always being final minus initial value.

On Edit: The question would make more sense if it asked, "What is the gain of gravitational potential between the two points?"

Thanks. Would I get it right in an exam though? As my answer and the textbook answer are completely different.

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks. Would I get it right in an exam though? As my answer and the textbook answer are completely different.
Since your instructor will be grading your exam, I think you should get a clarification of what "gain" means from him/her. Then you will be sure to get it right.

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the measure of the potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

Gravitational potential is calculated using the formula U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational potential?

The unit of measurement for gravitational potential is joules (J).

4. How does gravitational potential change with distance?

Gravitational potential decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This follows the inverse square law, where the potential is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. Can gravitational potential have a negative value?

Yes, gravitational potential can have a negative value. This typically occurs when the reference point for potential energy is set at an infinite distance from the object, and any point closer to the object will have a negative potential energy value.