Calculating Half-Life: When 131I Will Remain in Body at 1% Level

  • Thread starter Thread starter HugoPang1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body Half-life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
HugoPang1
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


When iodine is ingested by humans they eliminate it such that on half of the body's iodine content is execreted every 4.0 days. Radioactive 131I with a physical half-life of 8.1 days is administered to a patient. When will only 1% of the isotope remain in the patient's body?



Homework Equations


1/T1/2, e = 1/T1/2,p + 1/T1/2,b


The Attempt at a Solution


I got the rest of the equation but I don't know how people got T1/2,e = 2.7 d

Help please!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HugoPang1 said:

Homework Statement


When iodine is ingested by humans they eliminate it such that on half of the body's iodine content is execreted every 4.0 days. Radioactive 131I with a physical half-life of 8.1 days is administered to a patient. When will only 1% of the isotope remain in the patient's body?



Homework Equations


1/T1/2, e = 1/T1/2,p + 1/T1/2,b


The Attempt at a Solution


I got the rest of the equation but I don't know how people got T1/2,e = 2.7 d

Help please!

It looks like simple arithmetic??

1/T1/2, e = 1/T1/2,p + 1/T1/2,b

→

1/T1/2, e = 1/4 + 1/8.1

1/T1/2, e = 0.37345679

→

T1/2, e = 2.67768595 better known as 2.7d
 
Ah I was thinking so much, I overlooked it. Thank you though!