Calculating Horizontal Distance of Dart Fired by Child on Incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
ngoldfarb
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Okay here is the problem:
A dart gun is fired while being held horizontally at a height of 1.55 m above ground level, and at rest relative to the ground. The dart from the gun travels a horizontal distance of 7.77 m. A child holds the same gun in a horizontal position while sliding down a 39.7 degree incline at a constant speed of 0.869 m/s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

What horizontal distance "x" will the dart travel if the child fires the gun forward when it is 1.1m above the ground? Answer in units of m.

I tried finding out how fast the boy would be traveling in the x direction by using: sin 39.7 * 0.869 m/s but once I have that information, I don't know what to do with it. thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ngoldfarb said:
I tried finding out how fast the boy would be traveling in the x direction by using: sin 39.7 * 0.869 m/s but once I have that information, I don't know what to do with it. thanks.
Should you use the sine or cosine to find the x-component of the child's velocity?

From the information provided in the first part, can you determine the muzzle velocity of the dart gun?