1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal velocity for projectile motion

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There was a plane with the height of 1 km above the ground. The plane is moving horizontally 200 m/s and can fire a bullet with the velocity of 400 m/s. At one time, the the gun form an angle of 37(degree) and fired the bullet.

I was confused with the horizontal (x-axis) velocity of the bullet. Does the velocity of the plane firing the gun also relevant or does it not ?

2. Relevant equations
    The equation for the horizontal velocity of the bullet should be :
    Vx = Vo. Cos37

3. The attempt at a solution
    So it should be
    Vx = Vo. Cos37 = 319.45 m/s

If the plane is moving 200 m/s horizontally. Does it add up with the horizontal velocity of the bullet? Like for say the total horizontal velocity of the bullet is 319.45 m/s + 200 m/s = 519.45 m/s .

Can someone explain it to me ? Sorry for asking such trivial question

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2
    This is about relative motion, right? So it depends on your frame of reference. According to the plane's frame of reference, the bullet would be moving 319 m/s, but according to someone on the ground, the bullet would be moving at 519 m/s.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    Oh, i see. So its relative. Thank you sir

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted