Calculating Impedance in an RLC circuit

In summary, the impedance Zab across ab in the given circuit is calculated to be 0.504Ω with a phase angle of -59.7°. This is found by using the equations for equivalent impedance and calculating the parallel combination of the resistance and reactance components.
lpau001

Homework Statement

Calculate the impedance Zab across ab.
w=0.75 Hz
wo=1 Hz.
L=1 H
R=1 Ohm
C=1 F

Inductor and Capacitor are in series, and together are in parallel with the resistor.

circuit looks like a capital A, but square on top, and rotated 90 degrees clockwise.. if that makes sense.

Homework Equations

Zeq=sqrt(R2 +(XL-XC)2)
XC=1/(wC)
XL=wL

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations above, I found XC to be 4/3 and XL to be .075.
inputting those in the impedance equations, I get
Z=sqrt(12 + (4/3-.75)2)
which is 1.1577 which is wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your circuit layout, you've got a resistance in parallel with a reactance (the net result of the sum of the capacitive and inductive reactances). You don't just sum them to get the result, they combine like parallel resistances.

It might be easier to use the complex form for the impedance and do the math.

Zr = 1Ω, Zx = -0.583jΩ, then the net impedance is

Z = Zr*Zx/(Zr + Zx)

gneill said:
If I understand your circuit layout, you've got a resistance in parallel with a reactance (the net result of the sum of the capacitive and inductive reactances). You don't just sum them to get the result, they combine like parallel resistances.

It might be easier to use the complex form for the impedance and do the math.

Zr = 1Ω, Zx = -0.583jΩ, then the net impedance is

Z = Zr*Zx/(Zr + Zx)

I actually did try this in an earlier attempt, because I thought this was right, but apparently not.
1/Z=1/Zr + 1/Zx

I'm stuck, and I actually ran out of attempts on the HW, but this is more out of curiosity now than anything.

Thanks, Gneill

Z = Zr*Zx/(Zr + Zx)

= 1*(-0.583j)/(1 + -0.583j) Ω

= -0.583j/(1 - 0.583j) Ω

Normalizing,

= 0.254 - 0.435j Ω

This has magnitude |Z| = 0.504 Ω, and phase angle -59.7°

There seems to be an error in your calculations. The correct values for XC and XL are 4/3 and 3/4, respectively. Plugging these values into the impedance equation, we get Z=√(1+0)=1 Ohm, which is the correct answer. This makes sense as the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, leaving only the resistance in the circuit. It's important to double check your calculations and units when solving for impedance in an RLC circuit. Also, make sure to take into account the parallel and series connections of the components in the circuit to determine the overall impedance.

1. How do I calculate impedance in an RLC circuit?

The impedance in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (Xl - Xc)²), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

2. What is the difference between impedance and resistance in an RLC circuit?

Impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (inductive and capacitive), while resistance only considers the opposition to current flow caused by the resistance of the circuit.

3. How does the frequency of the current affect the impedance in an RLC circuit?

The frequency of the current affects the reactance values, which in turn affects the overall impedance. At higher frequencies, the reactance of the inductor increases while the reactance of the capacitor decreases, resulting in a higher overall impedance.

4. Can impedance be negative in an RLC circuit?

Yes, impedance can be negative in an RLC circuit. This occurs when the reactance of the inductor is greater than the reactance of the capacitor, resulting in a negative value for the overall impedance.

5. How is impedance affected by the values of the components in an RLC circuit?

The values of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) directly affect the impedance in an RLC circuit. A higher resistance or inductance will result in a higher impedance, while a higher capacitance will result in a lower impedance.