Calculating Incidence Angle for Tilted Plate and Light Source

In summary, a plate is tilted at 12.5 degrees around its vertical axis, reducing the exposure to a light source located 35 degrees above the horizon. The incidence angle between the light source and the front face of the plate can be found by using trigonometry and considering the plate as a 2D object. A visual representation of the problem can be helpful in understanding the solution.
Yani

Homework Statement

A plate is subjected to rays from a light source located 35 degrees above the horizon. The plate itself is tilted 12.5 degrees around its vertical axis reducing the exposure to the light source.
Find the incidence angle between the light source and the front face of the plate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the solution is based on trigonometry mostly, but could not sort it out...
Any help or even direction would be much appreciated![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, the plate is vertical and then tilted around its vertical axis.

Try making a 3D drawing of the mirror and rays and upload it so that we have something tangible to talk about .

If you can't easily visualise what the problem looks like in 3D try doing some 2D drawings first :

One drawing showing a view broadside on so that the 35 degree angle of the rays is shown correctly and another drawing showing a view looking down from above so that the angle of the mirror is shown correctly .

Doesn't matter if your first tries are not quite correct - we can soon put them right .

I have made two 2D skeches for the above problem, I hope it helps.
Basically the light source is at 35 degrees of elevation to the plate if it was just perpendicular to the horizontal plane. However, the plate is tilted by 12.5 degrees around its vertical axis which changes the angle of incudence.

It is also similar to the sketch below but much simpler I assume because we only take into account the vertical plate.
azimuth.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 369
  • Top view.jpg
    Top view.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 344
Last edited by a moderator:
Yani said:
I have made two 2D skeches for the above problem, I hope it helps.
Basically the light source is at 35 degrees of elevation to the plate if it was just perpendicular to the horizontal plane. However, the plate is tilted by 12.5 degrees around its vertical axis which changes the angle of incudence.

It is also similar to the sketch below but much simpler I assume because we only take into account the vertical plate.
View attachment 207374

Thank you in advance!
Take an origin in the plate, with the X axis parallel to the plate and the Y axis normal to it, both horizontal.
Consider a ray incident at the origin.
If you move a distance y along the Y axis from the origin, how far would you have to move in the X direction to be back under the ray?
How far are you from the origin now?
How far would you have to move in the Z direction to reach the ray?

1. What is an incidence angle?

An incidence angle refers to the angle at which a ray of light or other energy source strikes a surface.

2. How does the incidence angle affect a tilted face?

The incidence angle on a tilted face can impact the amount of energy reflected or absorbed by the surface. A higher incidence angle can result in more energy being reflected, while a lower angle may result in more energy being absorbed.

3. What is the relationship between incidence angle and surface orientation?

The incidence angle is directly related to the orientation of the surface. When the surface is perpendicular to the incoming energy, the incidence angle is 0 degrees. As the surface becomes more tilted, the incidence angle increases.

4. How does the incidence angle affect the appearance of a tilted face?

The incidence angle can affect the way a tilted face appears to an observer. For example, a surface with a lower incidence angle may appear brighter and more reflective, while a surface with a higher incidence angle may appear darker and less reflective.

5. Can the incidence angle on a tilted face be controlled?

In some cases, the incidence angle on a tilted face can be controlled by adjusting the tilt or orientation of the surface. This can be useful in certain applications, such as solar panels, where maximizing energy absorption requires a specific incidence angle.