The refractive index of an unknown liquid

In summary: You should be able to solve for the refractive index of the liquid from that.In summary, a light ray in dense flint glass with an index of refraction of 1.655 is incident on a surface where an unknown liquid has condensed. At a minimum angle of incidence of 53.7 degrees, total internal reflection occurs at the glass-liquid interface. To determine the refractive index of the liquid, we can use the equation n(1)*sin(theta)(c)=n(2)*sin(90). If the liquid is removed, the minimum angle of incidence for total internal reflection is the critical angle, which can be calculated using the equation n=c/v. The angle of refraction of the ray into the liquid
many questions

A light ray in dense flint glass that has an index of refraction of 1.655 is incident to the glass surface. An UNKNOWN liquid condenses on the glass's surface. Total internal reflection on the glass-liquid interface occurs for a minimum angle of incidence on the glass-liquid interface at 53.7 degrees.

1. what is the refractive index of the unknown liquid?
2. if the liquid is removed, what is the minimum angle of incidence for total internal reflection?
3. for the angle of refraction of the ray into the liquid film?
4. Does a ray emerge from the liquid film into the air above?

assume the glass and liquid have parallel planar surfaces

Homework Equations

speed of light: c=299792458 m/s
planck's constanct: h=6.626*10^-34 J*s= 4.136*10^-15 eV*s
transportation in a medium: v= c/n where n= the index of refraction
index of refraction: n=c/v
total internal reflection: n(1)*sin(theta)(c)=n(2)*sin(90) where n(1)>n(2)
Malus' law: I=I(0)*cos^2(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equations to determine the refractive index of the liquid, but I was getting very odd/ unrealistic answers.
Can you walk me through the problem/ explain what I should do for each step?

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
many questions said:

A light ray in dense flint glass that has an index of refraction of 1.655 is incident to the glass surface. An UNKNOWN liquid condenses on the glass's surface. Total internal reflection on the glass-liquid interface occurs for a minimum angle of incidence on the glass-liquid interface at 53.7 degrees.

1. what is the refractive index of the unknown liquid?
2. if the liquid is removed, what is the minimum angle of incidence for total internal reflection?
3. for the angle of refraction of the ray into the liquid film?
4. Does a ray emerge from the liquid film into the air above?

assume the glass and liquid have parallel planar surfaces

Homework Equations

speed of light: c=299792458 m/s
planck's constanct: h=6.626*10^-34 J*s= 4.136*10^-15 eV*s
transportation in a medium: v= c/n where n= the index of refraction
index of refraction: n=c/v
total internal reflection: n(1)*sin(theta)(c)=n(2)*sin(90) where n(1)>n(2)
Malus' law: I=I(0)*cos^2(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equations to determine the refractive index of the liquid, but I was getting very odd/ unrealistic answers.
Can you walk me through the problem/ explain what I should do for each step?
[/B]
Which of "the above equations" did you use and how? Several of them are totally irrelevant. I suggest that you draw a ray diagram under the conditions described (ray incident at minimum angle of incidence) and then apply one of the above equations that is appropriate to the diagram.

1. What is the refractive index of a liquid?

The refractive index of a liquid is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it travels through the liquid. It is a dimensionless quantity, typically denoted by the symbol "n".

2. How is the refractive index of a liquid measured?

The refractive index of a liquid can be measured using a refractometer, which is a scientific instrument that measures the bending of light as it passes through the liquid. This bending is known as refraction, and it is related to the refractive index of the liquid.

3. Why is it important to know the refractive index of a liquid?

The refractive index of a liquid is important because it can provide information about the identity, purity, and concentration of the liquid. It is also used in various applications, such as in the production of eyeglasses, lenses, and other optical devices.

4. Can the refractive index of a liquid change?

Yes, the refractive index of a liquid can change with different factors, such as temperature, pressure, and composition. It is important to note the conditions under which the refractive index is measured in order to accurately compare or predict its value.

5. How does the refractive index of a liquid relate to its chemical properties?

The refractive index of a liquid is related to its chemical properties, such as molecular structure and density. Different liquids with similar chemical properties will have similar refractive indices. This relationship is used in analytical chemistry techniques to identify and characterize unknown liquids.