Calculating Kinetic Energy: What Does 'v' Equal in Terms of Kinetic Energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mikefitz
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/4941/untitlediy4.png

This question leaves me very confused. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of where to begin because we haven't gone over these problems in class. I understand that kinetic energy is energy that a body has as a result of motion, and is defined as one half the product of a body's mass and the square of it's speed.

But how do I express this as an equation given the attached problem? :confused:

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
epsilon is the coefficient of restitution. Hint: Start with the ratio K_f/K_i, where K is the kinetic energy.
 
well... very simpily, what does v equal in terms of kinetic energy? try plugging that in the top and the bottom and see what you get.