Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating limits by subbing in values

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    Doesn't solving limits by substituting values defeat the point? For example: you can solve a limit of a quadratic by just subbing in a x value. But how do we know limit as x approaches a is the same as f(a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please clarify with an example.

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    I'll try to take a stab at what you're getting at :)

For limits, we are concerned what y-value the function is headed for. It doesn't matter if there is a hole or something at that point, because the limit never actually equals the value x is headed towards. It can get infinitely close, however.

For some limits, we don't have to do much work or simplification. So, if you can plug in the x-value without the denominator being equal to 0, go for it!

Also, if lim x-> a of f(x) exits and equals f(a) , we call the function continuous (Assuming f(a) exists as well)

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4
    Never mind.

My prof. answered my question in lecture today. It's called the direct substitution property.

http://web.viu.ca/wattsv/math121/Overheads/section14/directsubstitution.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook