Calculating lost mechanical energy

In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking help with a homework problem involving calculating the mechanical energy lost in a collision between two players. The solution was found by comparing the mechanical energy before and after the collision, with the understanding that energy is lost due to the inelastic nature of the collision.
bona0002
Hey guys,

I'm trying to complete a homework problem, but I'm not quite sure how to approach it. Here is the question: A 90.5-kg fullback running east with a speed of 4.91 m/s is tackled by a 94.7-kg opponent running north with a speed of 2.93 m/s. Determine the mechanical energy that disappears as a result of the collision.

This question actually came after the question that read: Calculate the velocity of the players immediately after the tackle.

I solved that problem with the value of the magnitude being 2.83 m/s and the value of θ = 32.0°.

Now I know that in the book, they say that E_mech = K + U (kinetic energy and potential energy), but I don't quite know how to calculate the lost mechanical energy. Any pointers of how the process would go would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now I know that in the book, they say that E_mech = K + U (kinetic energy and potential energy), but I don't quite know how to calculate the lost mechanical energy. Any pointers of how the process would go would be appreciated!

Just calculate the mechanical energy before and after, then compare them.

I understand how to calculate the mechanical energy after the collision, but how do I do it before? Do I calculate the mechanical energy of the runner, of the tackler, or do I add both their mechanical energies prior to the collision, and then compare?

Ok, just tried it by adding the two mechanical energies prior to the collision and that gave me the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

bona0002 said:
Ok, just tried it by adding the two mechanical energies prior to the collision and that gave me the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

So is there any loss in the mechanical energy? I can't think of a reason for loss :S
To me it seems like both momentum and energy is conserved?

timarli said:
So is there any loss in the mechanical energy? I can't think of a reason for loss :S
To me it seems like both momentum and energy is conserved?
It's an inelastic collision. The two masses coalesce. Energy will certainly be lost.

1. What is the definition of lost mechanical energy?

Lost mechanical energy is the amount of energy that is dissipated or converted into other forms, such as heat or sound, during a mechanical process.

2. How is lost mechanical energy calculated?

Lost mechanical energy can be calculated by subtracting the final kinetic energy from the initial kinetic energy, or by subtracting the work done by non-conservative forces from the initial mechanical energy.

3. What factors contribute to lost mechanical energy?

Friction, air resistance, and other non-conservative forces are the main contributors to lost mechanical energy. Additionally, imperfections in the materials and surfaces involved in the mechanical process can also contribute to energy loss.

4. What are the effects of lost mechanical energy?

The effects of lost mechanical energy can include a decrease in the efficiency of a mechanical system, as well as a decrease in the total amount of work that can be done by the system.

5. How can lost mechanical energy be minimized?

To minimize lost mechanical energy, it is important to reduce friction and other non-conservative forces in a mechanical process. This can be achieved through the use of lubricants, smooth and polished surfaces, and precise engineering and design.