1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating lost mechanical energy

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to complete a homework problem, but I'm not quite sure how to approach it. Here is the question: A 90.5-kg fullback running east with a speed of 4.91 m/s is tackled by a 94.7-kg opponent running north with a speed of 2.93 m/s. Determine the mechanical energy that disappears as a result of the collision.

This question actually came after the question that read: Calculate the velocity of the players immediately after the tackle.

I solved that problem with the value of the magnitude being 2.83 m/s and the value of θ = 32.0°.

Now I know that in the book, they say that E_mech = K + U (kinetic energy and potential energy), but I don't quite know how to calculate the lost mechanical energy. Any pointers of how the process would go would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    Just calculate the mechanical energy before and after, then compare them.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    I understand how to calculate the mechanical energy after the collision, but how do I do it before? Do I calculate the mechanical energy of the runner, of the tackler, or do I add both their mechanical energies prior to the collision, and then compare?

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    Ok, just tried it by adding the two mechanical energies prior to the collision and that gave me the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5

So is there any loss in the mechanical energy? I can't think of a reason for loss :S
    To me it seems like both momentum and energy is conserved?

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's an inelastic collision. The two masses coalesce. Energy will certainly be lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted