Calculating luminosity density of the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating luminosity density in a specific band using Schechter parameters measured by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. There is also mention of a mistake made and a request for help.
IRNB

Homework Statement

l = Phi*L*Gamma(a+2)

b)

The Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) has recently measured the following Schechter
parameters in the r passband: a = -1.16 +/- 0.03, M*= -20.80 +/- 0.03, Phi* = (1.50 +/-0.13). Given that the sun has absolute magnitude M = 4.62 in the SDSS r band, calculate the luminosity density in this band in solar units. Estimate the error on this quantity.
Gamma(0.84) = 1.122, Gamma(0.81) = 1.153, Gamma(0.87) = 1.094.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I done the entire question and then realized i had made a grave error. And this is what I think it is; I took L* as being -20.80 +/- 0.03 ie M*, and I am pretty sure this is wrong. Luminosity confuses me and I'm not sure how to relate the absolute magnitude M* to the Luminosity L*. I know that L* is supposed to be in the order of 10^10. Can anyone out there help? Its kind of urgent (due in tomorrow!).

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. Problem solved

First, let's define some terms to help us understand the problem:

- Luminosity density: This refers to the amount of light emitted per unit volume in a given region of the universe. It is typically expressed in units of solar luminosity per cubic megaparsec (M☉/Mpc^3).
- Schechter parameters: These are parameters used in the Schechter function, which is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of galaxies in a given region of the universe. The parameters include the characteristic luminosity (L*), the faint-end slope (a), and the normalization factor (Φ*).
- Absolute magnitude: This is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object, independent of its distance from us. It is defined as the apparent magnitude (how bright the object appears to us) that the object would have if it were located at a distance of 10 parsecs (pc) from us.
- Gamma: This is the gamma function, a mathematical function used to calculate the luminosity density in the universe.

Now, let's address the question at hand. The first thing we need to do is calculate the luminosity L* using the given absolute magnitude M* and the distance to the sun, which is approximately 1 AU (astronomical unit) or 1.5 × 10^8 km. We can use the equation L = 4πd^2F, where L is luminosity, d is distance, and F is flux.

We know that M* = 4.62 and the distance to the sun is 1 AU, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for F:

F = M*/(-2.5) = 10^(M*/(-2.5))

Substituting in the values, we get F = 10^(4.62/(-2.5)) = 0.0026. Now, we can plug this value into the equation for luminosity:

L* = 4π(1.5 × 10^8)^2(0.0026) = 5.89 × 10^26 watts

Next, we can use the given values for the Schechter parameters to calculate the luminosity density using the equation l = Φ*L*Γ(a+2). We know that a = -1.16, Φ* = 1.50, and Γ(0.84) = 1.

1. What is luminosity density of the universe?

Luminosity density is a measure of the total amount of light emitted from all sources in the universe. It is an important factor in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. How is luminosity density calculated?

Luminosity density is calculated by adding up the luminosity (the total amount of energy emitted per unit time) of all galaxies in a given volume of space and dividing by that volume. This can be done using data from surveys of galaxies and their luminosity measurements.

3. What unit is used to measure luminosity density?

Luminosity density is typically measured in units of watts per cubic megaparsec (W/Mpc³). This unit is used to represent the amount of energy emitted per second in a volume of space that is one megaparsec (3.26 million light years) on each side.

4. Why is calculating luminosity density important?

Calculating luminosity density helps us understand the overall energy output of the universe and how this changes over time. It is also useful in studying the distribution of matter and the formation of structures in the universe.

5. How does the luminosity density of the universe vary across different regions?

The luminosity density of the universe is not uniform and varies across different regions. It tends to be higher in regions with a higher concentration of galaxies and lower in regions with fewer galaxies. This variation can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and their distribution in the universe.