1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnetic force on circular coil carrying current

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular coil with center on the z axis and orthogonal to the xy axis carries a current. The coil is in a magnetic field B with axial simmetry compared to the x axis. B forms an angle θ with the z axis. Calculate the magnetic force acting on the coil.

exerc.png

2. Relevant equations

$$\vec{F_B} = i \vec{dl} x \vec{B}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried considering $$ dl = r d\phi $$
    So [itex]F = irB_zd\phi [/itex]
    where Bz is [itex]Bcos\theta[/itex]

By is null because it has opposite verse on opposite points of the coil. So I can consider just Bz

$$ F = irBcos\theta d\phi = irBcos\theta \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi = 2\pi irBcos\theta$$

The result, according to the book, is [itex]2\pi irBsin\theta[/itex]
    Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2
    How does your book define ##\theta##? Is it the angle the magnetic field makes with the horizontal(i.e. ##B_y##)?

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    It is the angle between B and Bz!

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does this mean?

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    I can't understand what does it mean, actually.

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So ask! The problem is not you, it's the instructor who can't write understandably!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted