• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculating mass of inner core in Kg when i only have the density

• Thread starter flower123
  • Start date

Homework Statement

SO i dont have the radius or the volume but i have an estimate of the density 14.5 10³kg m-3
Im really uncertain of the formula needed to A. get the radius without the volume and vice versa. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
If density estimate is all you have, I can't think of anything. But perhaps that's not the whole question/problem?

--

what else would i need? Radius? The radius is 1221km sorry for the rush in my posting and leaving out the rather important bits!

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
And the total mass, or the density of the none core part, or the overall average density.

the question reads....

using the information calculate the mass of the earths core in Kg applying the equation mass= density x volume.

show all working and and include units. give answer in appropriate scientific notation and to an appropraite significant figures.

So i have used the graph provided to get the value of density for the inner core.14.5 10³kg m-3 and the radius of 1221km. SO to calculate the volume of a sphere using these values.

Borek
Mentor
So where is the problem? You have density and radius, you don't need anything else.

--
methods