Calculating mass of inner core in Kg when i only have the density

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving calculating the mass of the Earth's core using the equation mass = density x volume. The student is unsure of which formula to use and only has an estimate of the density (14.5 10³kg m-3) and the radius (1221km). The expert suggests that these two values are sufficient to calculate the volume and subsequently the mass of the core.
flower123

Homework Statement

SO i don't have the radius or the volume but i have an estimate of the density 14.5 10³kg m-3
Im really uncertain of the formula needed to A. get the radius without the volume and vice versa. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If density estimate is all you have, I can't think of anything. But perhaps that's not the whole question/problem?

--

what else would i need? Radius? The radius is 1221km sorry for the rush in my posting and leaving out the rather important bits!

And the total mass, or the density of the none core part, or the overall average density.

the question reads...

using the information calculate the mass of the Earth's core in Kg applying the equation mass= density x volume.

show all working and and include units. give answer in appropriate scientific notation and to an appropraite significant figures.

So i have used the graph provided to get the value of density for the inner core.14.5 10³kg m-3 and the radius of 1221km. SO to calculate the volume of a sphere using these values.

So where is the problem? You have density and radius, you don't need anything else.

--
methods

1. How do you calculate the mass of the inner core with only the density?

To calculate the mass of the inner core, you can use the formula: mass = density x volume. First, determine the volume of the inner core by using its radius and assuming it is a perfect sphere. Then, multiply the density of the inner core by the volume to find the mass in kilograms.

2. What is the density of the inner core?

The density of the inner core varies depending on the composition of the inner core. On average, it is estimated to be around 13,000 kg/m3. However, this value may change as we continue to learn more about the Earth's inner core.

3. Can the mass of the inner core change?

Yes, the mass of the inner core can change over time due to processes such as melting and solidification. However, these changes are gradual and may not be noticeable in our lifetimes.

4. Why is it important to calculate the mass of the inner core?

Knowing the mass of the inner core is important for understanding the overall structure and composition of the Earth. It can also provide insight into the dynamics and processes that occur within the Earth's core.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the inner core's mass?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the density and volume measurements used. As our technology and understanding of the Earth's interior improves, the accuracy of the calculation will also improve.