1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating mass of inner core in Kg when i only have the density

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    SO i dont have the radius or the volume but i have an estimate of the density 14.5 10³kg m-3
    Im really uncertain of the formula needed to A. get the radius without the volume and vice versa. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

If density estimate is all you have, I can't think of anything. But perhaps that's not the whole question/problem?

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    what else would i need? Radius? The radius is 1221km sorry for the rush in my posting and leaving out the rather important bits!
  5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And the total mass, or the density of the none core part, or the overall average density.
  6. Mar 23, 2010 #5
    the question reads....

using the information calculate the mass of the earths core in Kg applying the equation mass= density x volume.

show all working and and include units. give answer in appropriate scientific notation and to an appropraite significant figures.

So i have used the graph provided to get the value of density for the inner core.14.5 10³kg m-3 and the radius of 1221km. SO to calculate the volume of a sphere using these values.
  7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

So where is the problem? You have density and radius, you don't need anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook