What is the total mass of the atmosphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a book about engines, energy, and entropy. The problem involves calculating the mass of air using the density and height of mercury in a barometer. It is stated that the ideal gas law and density equation are not helpful in this situation. The conversation then goes on to explain the pressure and weight of mercury and atmosphere in a barometer, as well as the use of the hydrostatic pressure law to calculate the pressure created by a column of mercury. The conversation also briefly touches on the units of measurement for the ideal gas law, with "L" standing for liters. Finally, it is mentioned that the mass of mercury covering the surface of the Earth to a depth of 760 mm is equal to
EliotBry

Homework Statement

Problem from the book "Engines, Energy and Entropy", Page 55, question 7 has me stumped. It doesn't feel like their is sufficient information to work out the mass of the air. They've given us density (as seen in the picture, if the upload works) , which is mass over volume, but unless you know the volume of mercury you can't work out the mass from that. Were only given the height of the mercury (maybe in a barometer), But without knowing the area that this height takes.

I'm truly stumped on part a), it's not complicated physics. I'm just struggling to see how you can achieve mass if you can't work out volume that the mercury takes up.

http://imgur.com/HnOoMAv

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law as in picture.

Density = mass/volume

The correct answer is 5.281×1018kg.

The Attempt at a Solution

20160402_155711.jpg

I found the pressure of the mercury (taking T=300K at the surface for a rough estimate) as 167.85 Pa. I don't know how close that is to being correct.

I also do not understand the units of R here, what is the L stand for?

I also calculated the surface area of the Earth as 5.147×1014 m2. But this is useful once I've calculated the mass of the atmosphere.

Apologies if it seems like I've not gotten far, I've just spent an hour on it running round in circles and I'm pissed off with it now.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a barometer, you have a column of mercury pushing against a column of atmosphere of the same size. At equilibrium, the weight of the mercury pushing at one end of the barometer is equal to the weight of the atmosphere pushing at the other end of the barometer. Assume the cross-sectional area of the barometer is 1 cm2. What weight of mercury is pushing against an area of 1 cm2? What weight of atmosphere is pushing against 1 cm2?

Oh thankyou so much, I've managed to figure out part a) now. didn't even need the ideal gas law haha.

I feel a little embarassed now. My brain must have been a bit fried so I'll give it a rest for a bit before tackling the rest of the questions

Thankyou so much for your help.

EliotBry said:

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 98378
I found the pressure of the mercury (taking T=300K at the surface for a rough estimate) as 167.85 Pa. I don't know how close that is to being correct.

It's not clear which pressure you are talking about here. In any event, a pressure of 167.85 Pa represents a pretty good vacuum, rather than a significant pressure.

In case you didn't know it, standard atmospheric pressure is 101,325 Pa at sea level at 15° C. This is the pressure which supports a column of mercury 76 cm high.

Using the density of mercury, ρ = 13.5 g/cc, the height of the column, 76 cm, and the hydrostatic pressure law, P = ρ g h, you should be able to calculate the pressure that this column of mercury creates.

I also do not understand the units of R here, what is the L stand for?

You couldn't guess this? L stands for liters.

Sorry man, my brain was really frazzled earlier. L for litres, of course. I don't know what I was thinking.

In other words, if you covered the surface of the Earth with Mercury to a depth of 760 mm, the mass of that Mercury equals the maths of the actual atmosphere?

1. What is the total mass of the atmosphere?

The total mass of the Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.15 x 10^18 kilograms.

2. How is the mass of the atmosphere calculated?

The mass of the atmosphere is calculated by multiplying the average density of the atmosphere (1.225 kg/m^3) by the total volume of the atmosphere, which is approximately 4.2 x 10^21 cubic meters.

3. Why is it important to know the total mass of the atmosphere?

Knowing the total mass of the atmosphere is important for understanding the Earth's climate, weather patterns, and air quality. It also helps scientists to study the composition and behavior of the atmosphere.

4. Does the mass of the atmosphere change over time?

Yes, the mass of the atmosphere can change over time due to natural processes such as evaporation and precipitation, as well as human activities like burning fossil fuels. However, these changes are relatively small compared to the total mass of the atmosphere.

5. What is the relationship between the mass of the atmosphere and gravity?

The mass of the atmosphere contributes to the Earth's overall mass, which in turn affects the strength of gravity on the surface. Gravity helps to keep the atmosphere close to the Earth's surface, preventing it from escaping into space.