Calculating mass of Milky way Galaxy

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter RyanH42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Galaxy Mass Milky way
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
RyanH42
Messages
398
Reaction score
16
I used the ##v^2=MG/R## to calculate mass of milky way.Now ##v=225000## m/s G=6.7 10-11 and r is 16 kpc source (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Rotation_curve_(Milky_Way).JPG)
If I plut them I get ##50,625,000,000=v^2## and the other side G=6.6 10-11 and R =49.6 1019 so ##M=v^2R/G## that's equal 50,625,000,000/5.1020.6.6 10-11 which its ≅ 1.534 10-3

Whats the point which I am missing
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
RyanH42 said:
Whats the point which I am missing

You forgot to include R in the numerator of your calculation, and I don't understand where the 5.1020 in the denominator comes from.
 
Oh I made a huge mistake now I see it 5 1020 comes from kpc-meter transformation.Then the answer will be 50,625 106*5 1020/6.6 10 -11.Which we get ≅40 10 36 which means 8 106 Msun
 
RyanH42 said:
But again it false

Check your math. I get as a rough answer ##\left( 5 \times 10^{10} \right) \left( 5 \times 10^{20} \right) / \left( 7 \times 10^{-11} \right)##, which comes out to about ##4 \times 10^{41}##, or about ##10^{11} M_{sun}##, which is about right. (As a rule of thumb, when using scientific notation, always adjust the exponent so that the number in front is between 1 and 10. You didn't do that for the ##v^2## factor and I think it confused you.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RyanH42