Calculating Maximum Height of a Hanging Block on a Pulley System

  • Thread starter Thread starter jphillip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blocks Pully
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 4K views
jphillip
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
two blocks (2.2kg and 3.2kg) both hanging 1.80 m from the ground on a pulley(massless / frictionless) that is 4.80 m from the ground.

What is the maximum height the smaller block (2.2kg) reaches, when the system is released?

It appears that I need to find its velocity first of the system as the 3.2kg falls 1.8 m to the ground.
(3.2kg-2.2kg) / (3.2kg+2.2kg) = .185g * (9.8m/s2) = 1.81 m/s2

Then once the big block hits the ground, calc the additional height of the little block will rise additionally from the velocity created.

v2 - v2i / 2 (g)
1.812 / 2(9.8 m/s2) = .168 m + 1.8m (initial drop / increase)

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jphillip! welcome to pf! :smile:
jphillip said:
(3.2kg-2.2kg) / (3.2kg+2.2kg) = .185g * (9.8m/s2) = 1.81 m/s2

where did you get this formula from? :confused:

(it's only partly correct :redface:)

(your second formula is fine)
 
I got the first formula from an example in my book that appeared to be calculating what I thought I needed. An elevator question, what did I miss or am I missing
 
thought so! :rolleyes:

always work out the formula yourself :wink: …

what should it be? :smile:​
 
I believe F = ma which worked out a = F/m
So
3.2kg - 2.2kg = 1kg * 9.8 = F
(3.2 + 2.2) = m ? (not sure here)

I think
 
jphillip said:
I believe F = ma …

well, that certainly would work, but you want v not a …

so it's quicker to use conservation of energy :wink:​
 
So that gets me the velocity2 I would then have to solve for the additional distance correct
 
[itex]\sqrt{2*1.81*1.80}[/itex] = v = 2.55

2.552 / (2*9.8m/s2) = y = .332 + 3.6 (1.80(starting height)+1.80 accl height)

total height 3.93m
 
i'm finding it difficult to follow this without any formulas :redface:

(and why did you bother to square-root that, when you were only going to square it again immediately after? :confused:)
 
Here are the formulas that I have used... initial height = 1.80m
N - Newtons
kg - kilograms
(Block 1 31.31N - Block 2 21.56N) / (block 1 3.3kg + block 2 2.2kg) = a

So
(31.36N - 21.56N) / (3.2kg + 2.2kg) = 1.8148 m/s2

Then solve for Velocity using v2 = v2i + 2a(y)

V2= 0 + 2(1.8148m/s2)(1.80) = 6.5338 which is velocity not squared

Now solve for the actual distance using the same formula on
v = 6.5338 (not squared from above)
a = 9.8 gravity
v / 2(a) = y

6.5338 / 2(9.8) = .332 which should be the height of the lighter block 2.2kg with momentum after the 3.2 kg block hits the ground.
 
hi jphillip! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

i think you have the correct result, but what do you mean by "not squared"? :confused:

that 6.53338 is v2

have you done conservation of energy in class (KE + PE = constant)?

you can avoid finding the acceleration by using mgh - Mgh = (m + M)v2/2
​
 
I have not made it to conservation of energy in Class. Thanks for the help I am sure I will be back for more. I am really enjoying this class, just not the summer version of I believe LOL.
 
jphillip said:
I have not made it to conservation of energy in Class.

ok, that's something to look forward to! :biggrin:

just to recap, your equations (without conservation of energy) should have been

(F = ma): mg - T = ma, Mg - T = -Ma, so (subtracting) (m-M)g = (m+M)a, or a = (m-M)/(m+M)

v2 = 2as1

v2 = 2gs2 :wink: