Minimum and maximum values so the system remains at rest

In summary, the equation for one case is Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m. The equation for the other case is Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m.
James2911

Homework Statement

[/B]
Two blocks A and B of masses m and M are connected to the two ends of a string passing over a pulley. B lies on plane inclined at angle theta with the horizontal and A is hanging freely as shown. The coefficient of static friction between B and the plane is us. Find the minimum and maximum values of m so that the system is at rest.

In the given diagram: B (i.e. M) lies on the incline plane
A (i.e. m) is hanging
Theta is the angle of the incline
Both A and B are connected by a pulley.

Homework Equations

Sigma F = ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given[/B]

system is at rest;
for A; mg = T -- (1)
for B; Mgsin(theta) + uMgcos(theta) = T

from (1)
=> Mgsin(theta) + uMgcos(theta) = mg
=> Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m

How do I proceed from here? Do I need to differentiate?

Physics news on Phys.org
You actually solved the problem for one case. Which one? Is the one you solved the max value of m or the minimum?

How do the two cases differ?

James2911 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Two blocks A and B of masses m and M are connected to the two ends of a string passing over a pulley. B lies on plane inclined at angle theta with the horizontal and A is hanging freely as shown. The coefficient of static friction between B and the plane is us. Find the minimum and maximum values of m so that the system is at rest.

In the given diagram: B (i.e. M) lies on the incline plane
A (i.e. m) is hanging
Theta is the angle of the incline
Both A and B are connected by a pulley.

Homework Equations

Sigma F = ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given[/B]

system is at rest;
for A; mg = T -- (1)

from (1)
=> Mgsin(theta) + uMgcos(theta) = mg
=> Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m

How do I proceed from here? Do I need to differentiate?

If ##u## and ##\theta## are specified, your equation gives you ##m## in terms of ##M,u## and ##\theta##, so you have no opportunity to maximize or minimize or anything else. As far as I can see, you only have a chance to maximize or minimize if you are allowed to vary ##\theta##.

James2911 said:
Do I need to differentiate?
No.

Doc Al said:
You actually solved the problem for one case. Which one? Is the one you solved the max value of m or the minimum?

How do the two cases differ?
This is where my doubt lies. How do I determine which one is which?
You said I solved the problem for one case, but what I am thinking is that I have only arrived at the relation and from here I need to manipulate it in order to arrive at the required answer.
Ray Vickson said:
If ##u## and ##\theta## are specified, your equation gives you ##m## in terms of ##M,u## and ##\theta##, so you have no opportunity to maximize or minimize or anything else. As far as I can see, you only have a chance to maximize or minimize if you are allowed to vary ##\theta##.
u is μ (coefficient of friction)
and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

I think θ remains fixedThe given answer is:
mmin = M(sinθ - μ cos θ)
mmax = M(sinθ + μcosθ)

James2911 said:
Here's a hint: When m is below the minimum, which way will M tend to slide? Same question for when m is above the maximum. (Consider the direction of the friction force in each case.)

James2911 said:
You said I solved the problem for one case, but what I am thinking is that I have only arrived at the relation and from here I need to manipulate it in order to arrive at the required answer.

u is μ (coefficient of friction)
and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

I think θ remains fixedThe given answer is:
mmin = M(sinθ - μ cos θ)
mmax = M(sinθ + μcosθ)

Your last equation in post #1 says

Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m

so given ##M, u## and ##\theta,## ##m## is uniquely determined. There is no opportunity to maximize or minimize; all you can do is compute ##m.##

The only other possibility is that you have somehow written incorrect equations.

Ray Vickson said:
Msin(theta) + uMcos(theta) = m

so given ##M, u## and ##\theta,## ##m## is uniquely determined. There is no opportunity to maximize or minimize; all you can do is compute ##m.##
And that value will be one of the answers. Note that the equations change for each case.

Doc Al said:
And that value will be one of the answers. Note that the equations change for each case.

Right, and I think the OP needs to draw a complete free-body-diagram, showing all the forces (gravity, friction, tension, etc). That will show the nature of the system when it is stuck in place, versus when it is just about to start sliding, one way or the other.

Personally, I think a useful way to think about it is to look first at the condition for equilibrium when there is no friction. That will give a starting value ##m_0##, so that if ##m < m_0## then ##M## will start to slide one way and if ##m > m_0## it will start to slide the other way----all in the absence of friction. Now add friction and see what happens.

James2911 said:

Given

system is at rest;
for A; mg = T -- (1)
Remember, the static friction force is not uMgcos(theta), it is less or equal to it. So you need to write inequalities for block B, one to preventing acceleration downward, second to prevent acceleration upward along the slope. The friction opposes the motion, so it is different for the two cases.

Doc Al said:
Here's a hint: When m is below the minimum, which way will M tend to slide? Same question for when m is above the maximum. (Consider the direction of the friction force in each case.)
This is it! I did what you said, and I got the exact answers!

When m is below the minimum, M will slide down
When m is above the maximum, M will slide up
&
Friction will orient itself according to motion. (Opposing motion in each case)

I now see why the answer in my original post was one of the answers. I had assumed initially that m will go down and M will slide up.

Thank you Doc Al, Ray Vickson and ehild for your help!

Good work!

1. What is the significance of minimum and maximum values in a system?

In a physical system, minimum and maximum values represent the limits within which the system can remain at rest. These values are important because they determine the stability of the system. If the values are exceeded, the system may become unstable and move to a new state of equilibrium.

2. How do minimum and maximum values affect the behavior of a system?

The minimum and maximum values of a system determine the range of possible states that the system can be in. If the system is within this range, it will remain at rest. However, if the values are exceeded, the system may experience changes in its behavior and move towards a new equilibrium state.

3. How can minimum and maximum values be calculated or determined for a system?

The calculation of minimum and maximum values for a system depends on the specific parameters and variables involved. In general, they can be determined through mathematical analysis and simulation techniques, taking into account factors such as forces, constraints, and energy levels.

4. Can minimum and maximum values change over time?

Yes, the minimum and maximum values of a system can change over time. This is because the conditions and parameters of the system may change, leading to different equilibrium states. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust these values to ensure the stability and proper functioning of the system.

5. How do minimum and maximum values relate to the concept of equilibrium in a system?

Minimum and maximum values are directly related to the concept of equilibrium in a system. The minimum value represents the lower limit of stability, while the maximum value represents the upper limit. When the system is within this range, it is considered to be in a state of equilibrium, with no net forces acting on it and remaining at rest.