Time period of a block hanging from a pulley

In summary, the system oscillates for a period of 2πx/a. The spring force does not act and the equation for the torque is equated using concervation of energy.
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

:[/B] The figure shows a pulley block system in equilibrium. If the block is displaced down slightly from its position and released, find the time period of the oscillation. Assume friction is sufficient.
I: moment of inertia of pulley
k: spring constant
R: Radius of pulley
m: mass of hanging block

Homework Equations

: [/B]F=kx(for spring force)
T=2π√(x/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
I have done the sum using concervation of energy and the answer matched. But when I tried it by balancing torque and force, I'm unable to get the answer.
My Attempt:

Initially, when the system was at equilibrium,
T=mg
⇒kx = mg
x=mg/k
(x is the stretch produced in the spring when the system is at equilibrium)
After we disturb the equilibrium,
Let us suppose at any instant(when the spring is restoring its position) the additional stretch is x' (I used additional as already the spring was stretched by an amount x)
So by equating forces on the block, we get:
ma = Fs + T - mg
(a= acceleration of block at the instant)
From equating torque on the pulley we get
FsR - TR = Iα
α is the angular acceleration of the puley.
and
α= a/R.
I just want to know if my equations are correct.
I will solve the rest on my own.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I have also attached the FBD sketched by me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your free-body diagram for the block is incorrect. Reconsider how many forces act on the block.

TSny said:
Your free-body diagram for the block is incorrect. Reconsider how many forces act on the block.
Okay, So the spring force is not acting..right?

randomgamernerd said:
Okay, So the spring force is not acting..right?
That's right, the spring force does not act on the block.

TSny said:
That's right, the spring force does not act on the block.
okay, one more question, initially I equated T= mg and then T= kx.
I could do that because the system was in equilibrium and the string is massless, right?

randomgamernerd said:
okay, one more question, initially I equated T= mg and then T= kx.
I could do that because the system was in equilibrium and the string is massless, right?
Yes

TSny said:
Yes
ok, thanks for helping me again

What is the time period of a block hanging from a pulley?

The time period of a block hanging from a pulley refers to the amount of time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion. This includes going from its highest point, known as the apex, back to the apex again.

What factors affect the time period of a block hanging from a pulley?

The time period of a block hanging from a pulley is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the length of the string or rope attached to the pulley, and the strength of the gravitational force acting on the block. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

How can the time period of a block hanging from a pulley be calculated?

The time period of a block hanging from a pulley can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the time period, L is the length of the string or rope, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is derived from the formula for the period of a simple pendulum, as the motion of a block hanging from a pulley is similar to that of a pendulum.

Does the angle of the string or rope attached to the pulley affect the time period?

Yes, the angle of the string or rope attached to the pulley can affect the time period of a block hanging from it. The greater the angle, the longer the length of the string or rope becomes, which can result in a longer time period. However, for small angles, the difference in time period may be negligible.

How does the time period of a block hanging from a pulley change if the mass of the block is doubled?

If the mass of the block hanging from a pulley is doubled, the time period will also double. This is because the mass is directly proportional to the time period. This can be seen in the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where the mass of the block is not included. Other factors, such as the length of the string or rope, will remain constant.