Calculating microstates and entropy

In summary, the conversation discusses the change of entropy in a system of two identical brass bars brought into contact in a chamber with a perfect vacuum. Using a simple model, the number of microstates for the cold and hot bars are calculated before and after they are brought into contact. The number of quanta of energy in each bar is also determined. Finally, the change in entropy for each bar and the total change in entropy for the system is calculated.
b100c

Homework Statement

Two identical brass bars in a chamber with perfect (thermally insulating) vacuum are at respective temperature T hot>T cold. They are brought in contact together so that they touch and make perfect diathermal contact and equilibrate towards a common temperature. We want to know what is the change of entropy to the whole system (cold plus hot bars) according to Boltzmann’s formula S=kln(Ω).

To study that problem, we will consider a simple model. We will assume that the hot bar consists of 4 atoms with 5 quanta of energies that can be distributed arbitrarily among the 4 atoms. For example, three atoms can have one quantum, one atom has two quanta, making a total of (3×1+1×2) quanta=5 quanta. This is one of the many microstates that this system can have with the constraint of 5 quanta in total.

We will assume that the (identical) cold right bar also has 4 atoms, but now with only 1 quantum of energy, as it is colder, that can be distributed arbitrarily among the 4 atoms.

1. Assuming that the atoms are distinguishable, compute the number of microstates initially (before they are brought in contact) for the cold bar.
2. Compute the number of microstates initially for the hot bar.
3. Once they are brought touching together, the energy equilibrates (so that the two bars reach a same/ common temperature). How many quanta of energy exist in the left bar? How many in the right bar?
4. Compute the entropy change for the left bar. Compute the entropy change for the right bar.
5. What is the total entropy change for the whole system? Has it increased or decreased?

Homework Equations

S= kln(Ω)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Well the cold bar only has one macrostate, which is 1 atom with 1 quantum, and 3 atoms with 0. So this is asking how many permutations are there of 1-0-0-0.
To find the number of microstates (permutations), use the formula
[tex]\frac{N!}{{\prod\limits_{k}}M_k!}[/tex]
with 1 for M1, 3 for M2, and 4 for N. This gets the answer 4.

2. Here, I use the same formula from part 1 on the different macrostates, and get 56 microstates in total.

3. I would think that the quanta would even out so that there are 3 quanta in each bar right?

4. I'm confused with this part, I know I use S= kln(Ω), but is Ω the total number of microstates, or the number of microstates for the most likely macrostate?

5. The entropy change for the whole system should just be the sum of the two entropy changes, and I expect it to not decrease by the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
b100c said:
To find the number of microstates (permutations), use the formula
[tex]\frac{N!}{{\prod\limits_{k}}M_k!}[/tex]
with 1 for M1, 3 for M2, and 4 for N. This gets the answer 4.

2. Here, I use the same formula from part 1 on the different macrostates, and get 56 microstates in total.
the formula I know for the number of ways of distributing r identical objects into n distinct buckets is ##^{n+r-1}C_{r}##. That gives me the same answers.
b100c said:
3. I would think that the quanta would even out so that there are 3 quanta in each bar right?
Yes.
b100c said:
4. I'm confused with this part, I know I use S= kln(Ω), but is Ω the total number of microstates, or the number of microstates for the most likely macrostate?
You know the macrostate, so it's the number for that macrostate.

Hi, haruspex thanks for the reply.
haruspex said:
You know the macrostate, so it's the number for that macrostate.
How do I know which macrostate to choose, do I just pick the most probable one (the one with the greatest number of microstates)?

b100c said:
Hi, haruspex thanks for the reply.

How do I know which macrostate to choose, do I just pick the most probable one (the one with the greatest number of microstates)?
You are given two macrostates. In the first, the energy is split 5:1, in the second it is 3:3.

Oh, okay I think I get it. I was under the impression that a macrostate is a way of distributing the 5 quanta into 4 atoms. And then the microstates are pemutations of that. Like 5-0-0-0 would be one macrostate with 4 microstates, and then 4-1-0-0 would be another macrostate with 12 microstates. This is how I got 56 in part 2, by adding up all the microstates across macrostates. Is this wrong?

b100c said:
Oh, okay I think I get it. I was under the impression that a macrostate is a way of distributing the 5 quanta into 4 atoms. And then the microstates are pemutations of that. Like 5-0-0-0 would be one macrostate with 4 microstates, and then 4-1-0-0 would be another macrostate with 12 microstates. This is how I got 56 in part 2, by adding up all the microstates across macrostates. Is this wrong?
It depends how you choose to define macrostates. If you choose to define a macrostate as "one atom has all 5, but I don't care which" then that would be true. But then you can bundle these macrostates into larger macrostates. These would be macrostates for one bar only, of couse, and you would have to take ordered pairs of such to generate macrostates for the two bar system.
For the purposes of the question, the macrostates of interest are
A. Left bar has 5 quanta and right bar has 1.
B. Each bar has three quanta.

Likes b100c

What is the significance of calculating microstates and entropy?

Calculating microstates and entropy allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a system at the microscopic level. It helps us predict the likelihood of different configurations of particles and their corresponding energy levels, which can ultimately impact the macroscopic properties of the system.

How do you calculate the number of microstates for a given system?

The number of microstates for a given system can be calculated using the formula W = n^N, where W is the number of microstates, n is the number of possible states for each particle, and N is the number of particles in the system. This formula is based on the fundamental principle of counting, which states that the total number of outcomes is equal to the product of the number of outcomes for each independent event.

What is the relationship between microstates and entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while microstates represent the different ways in which particles can be arranged within the system. As the number of microstates increases, the entropy of the system also increases, indicating a higher degree of disorder.

How does temperature affect the number of microstates and entropy?

As temperature increases, the number of microstates and entropy also increase. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more energy and are able to occupy a greater number of states, resulting in a larger number of possible configurations and a higher level of disorder.

Can microstates and entropy be used to predict the behavior of complex systems?

Yes, microstates and entropy can be used to predict the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions or phase transitions. By understanding the microstates and their corresponding energies, we can make predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes and the overall behavior of the system.