Calculating Molarity of Ethyl Alcohol in Whiskey

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim4592
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molarity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
Jim4592
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Eighty-six proof whiskey is 43 percent ethyl alcohol, CH3CH2OH, by volume. If the density of ethyl alcohol is 0.79 kg/L, what is the molarity in whiskey.


Homework Equations


Molar Mass of CH3CH2OH = 46.07 g


The Attempt at a Solution



0.79 kg/L * 1000 g/kg * 1 mole / 46.07 g = 17.15 M

I was just looking for a check on this particular problem since I haven't taken a chemistry course since my freshman year ha!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not bad - you are on the right track - but wrong. You have not used 43% in your calculations and this is an important information.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you would have to use that 43% in there somewhere, but I'm not sure how to use it. It would be nice if I still owned my chem book.

UPDATE:

Ok I tried re-working the problem again, here's what I came up with:

0.79 kg/L * 0.43 L / 1 L * 1000 g / 1 kg * 1 mol / 46.07 g = 7.37 M

how does that look?
 
Last edited: