Calculating Most Probable Point of Rupture on a Falling Pole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Jamadar
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A thin uniform pole of length 30 m is pivoted at the bottom end. Calculate the most probable point of rupture on the pole as the pole falls.

Homework Equations


I'm really not sure how to start.

The Attempt at a Solution


None, our professor gave us this as a challenge problem and I don't believe it is something I should know taking general physics. Clarification on even where to start would be nice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you found out how to solve this yet? I have no idea.
 
Damn. I'm not even sure what this is supposed to look like. No figure or anything.
 
So I got some more information if anyone still is helping.

while the pole is falling, at any location of the pole there are forces that try to snap the pole. One goes up perpendicular to the pole and the other comes down perpendicular to the pole. That is why an old fragile pole breaks down while its falling full-length. These forces snap the pole into two pieces.

I'm still not exactly sure how to go about finding the rupture point off of this so it be great for help.