Conservation of Energy falling rod

In summary, a 14kg uniform ladder of length 3m is released from rest at a vertical position. The angle Theta at which the bottom end A starts to lift off the ground is determined by solving for the forces at point A and identifying the components of acceleration at angle Theta. Friction at point A is neglected and the ladder is assumed to be a slender rod. The equation T_1+V_1=T_2+V_2 is used, where T_1 represents the initial kinetic energy and V_1 represents the initial potential energy at the center of mass of the ladder, and T_2 and V_2 represent the kinetic and potential energies at the end of the rod.
dmoney123

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder having mass 14kg and length 3m is released from rest when it is in the vertical position. If it is allowed to fall freely, determine the angle Theta at which the bottom end A starts to lift off the ground. For calculation assume the ladder is a slender rod and neglect friction at A.

yKHTn7j.jpg

Homework Equations

T_1+V_1=T_2+V_2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

T_1=0

V_1=mgh
=mgL/2

T_2=1/2I(omega)^2
where I for end of rod = 1/3mL^2

so 1/2(1/3mL^2)(omega)^2

V_2=mgh
=mgL/2cos(Theta)

Solve T_1+V_1=T_2+V_2

g(1-cos(Theta))=(omega)^2

I think we now need solve for the forces at point A, but I don't know how...

I also don't really understand at what point A would "lift"

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
dmoney123 said:
g(1-cos(Theta))=(omega)^2
That's dimensionally wrong. You have an acceleration on the left and 1/time2 on the right.
dmoney123 said:
I think we now need solve for the forces at point A
Yes. What are the forces acting on the rod? What components of acceleration can you identify at angle theta?

1. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy within a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a falling rod?

As the rod falls, its potential energy decreases due to its decreasing height. At the same time, its kinetic energy increases as it gains speed. The total energy of the system (rod + Earth) remains constant, as some of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

3. Does the conservation of energy hold true for all types of energy?

Yes, the conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, and chemical energy. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in various experiments and observations.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a universal law and cannot be violated. However, it may appear to be violated in certain situations due to incomplete or incorrect measurements, or when non-conservative forces such as friction are present.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in a thermodynamic process. This is essentially the same principle as the conservation of energy, but specifically applies to thermodynamic systems. The conservation of energy is a more general principle that applies to all systems.